It's about time someone called out GM on this issue!!!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CriticalThinker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Well, that'll drive up the cost of the cars for everyone another grand or two and the plaintiff's will each get a check for $2 in ten years. Meanwhile, the lawyers will fund the purchase of planes, boats, fancy cars, campaign contributions and expensive college tuitions for their children for the next ten years.
Or, I guess the lawyers could have not filed the lawsuit and GM could have just gone on putting defective parts into the cars and leaving it for the consumer do deal with later. I mean, I get the distaste for some lawyers, but do you think the average consumer could effect a major improvement to an industry without the help of class lawyers?

badtothe bone

Full Access Member
Reaction score
GM perfected "planned obsolescence" a long time ago.
It's not a Ford.
It's designed to last about 10 years or 100,000 miles.
Or as long as the warranty permits.
You got to live somewhere dry, with no salt, or be a damned good mechanic and body man to keep it on the road past it's expiration date.
The road warriors that runs it on the interstate and just pound's the miles out of it doesn't count.

So why are you surprised that this issue developed now.

It was going to happen sooner or later anyways.

Just like the Cadillac and the Edsel and the Pinto, if you aren't satisfied, quit buying it.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
( Turn on my " Way back" machine).......
1988 GMC C2500-, back in 1990, my factory warranty- covered transmission was failing.
The dealer had the truck, kept it overnight ( so tranny cold in morning)... They just drove it around the block at 8:00 am. ( Did not get warm yet)... They said it performed "within spec". ...
" Repair denied".... As I drove home, it failed in 15 minutes. I returned and they refused to look at it. A LONG STORY SHORT...... Took it 2 other dealers.... same answer.....
Finding out, the problem was the " GM service area representative "....

EVEN GM CORPORATE OK'd the warranty. But the jerk in L.A. for some reason denied it.

Finding out, my written "complaint" did not list the required WORDS describing my issue...
The words I used was not in the GM TECHNICAL SERVICE BULLETIN, the covered the replacement of my 700R4 transmission currently active as defective internal parts.
(( They expect a consumer to know a mechanic's description of defect as per GM )))

I ended fixing it myself. ( bad lock-up, or a bad plannitory )

I contacted warranty lawyers...... They ignored me because " someone did not get killed, so not worth their time".......

The legendary transmission builder, Art Carr wanted to throw the defective parts through the dealer's window !!

Last edited:

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
AFM started way way back in 2005, it was on the V8 5.3 Versions of the Trailblazer, Rainier, Envoy. My 2005 & 2006 Rainiers both had the AFM/DOD.

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
To add...... As per my GM warranty 'fine print', It says, "..... any return of a warranty repair, showing a continued same defect, ( The second return to dealer due to same problem)...

"The warranty will have no date or mileage limit until defect is resolved".
THAT is what they were avoiding!!

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
AFM started way way back in 2005, it was on the V8 5.3 Versions of the Trailblazer, Rainier, Envoy. My 2005 & 2006 Rainiers both had the AFM/DOD.
I had to look that up, I didn’t believe it but you’re right. And in 2006 there were 6 SUV’s and 3 sedans with it, not sure which ones. I thought it didn’t start until 2007.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would be very surprised if the lawsuit is successful, at least from the standpoint of obtaining a recall. Not sure how they are going to prove any safety related issue as the engine will run with a collapsed DFM lifter. You are going to get a CEL and a miss from the bad cylinder, but the engine will keep running. Nobody is going to be stalled on a blind curve with a Freightliner bearing down on them.

My guess is GM might be willing to extend a blanket engine warranty on the fleet they know might contain the bad lifters (engine production dates to 3/5/2021), but I honestly think getting more than that will be a stretch.

Reaction score
GM perfected "planned obsolescence" a long time ago.
It's not a Ford.
It's designed to last about 10 years or 100,000 miles.
Or as long as the warranty permits.
You got to live somewhere dry, with no salt, or be a damned good mechanic and body man to keep it on the road past it's expiration date.
The road warriors that runs it on the interstate and just pound's the miles out of it doesn't count.

So why are you surprised that this issue developed now.

It was going to happen sooner or later anyways.

Just like the Cadillac and the Edsel and the Pinto, if you aren't satisfied, quit buying it.

Eventually it will get better or go out of business.
All mfg are having growing pains right now. They are all making junk.
And with all this, people are still paying over MSRP for vehicles right now, lol

Stbentoak

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And with all this, people are still paying over MSRP for vehicles right now, lol
And if someone totaled yours today, or a string of Tornadoes came thru your community and scrapped your stuff out.... You would be too. You don't know everyone's situation........LOL

Reaction score
And if someone totaled yours today, or a string of Tornadoes came thru your community and scrapped your stuff out.... You would be too. You don't know everyone's situation........LOL
No I wouldn't, insurance would, lol.

But why would it have to be a brand new vehicle?

Truthfully though, I wouldn't buy a brand new one, especially the 2021 model year since it's a first year build and has bugs. Plus I would never spend that kind of money on a vehicle unless I had a crapload of it and nothing else to spend it on.

And a drunk driver ran a red light and t-***** my 2011 Denali 3 years ago and caused 22k in damage totalling it. I replaced it with the 2012 Denali

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pikelk98