Isn't the Goodyear tire the best option for a PPV?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lightning 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After going over and over all of the different tire sizes, and wheel option up to 20 inch, I've decided I'm going to go with a new set of 265/60-17 Goodyear PPV tires. I'm currently on 255/65-17 Michelin X ice tires looking for summer replacements. I have all the equipment to change tires, including a Hunter road force balancer, so I won't have to buy wheels just yet. I liked to Firestone PPV's I had, but they were badly out of round, plus they are stupid expensive. I believe the new generation Goodyears have been tweaked a little. Found this article explaining how they are designed exclusively for the Tahoe PPV.
http://www.hendonpub.com/resources/article_archive/results/details?id=5956

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like the goodyears, the rsa, eagle, eagle sport are all V rated, they stick to the road like glue even in heavy rain, can't say how well they do in snow it doesn't snow where I live. I get good mileage out of them, exactly how much I don't know I put a new set on my nbs about a year before I sold it, it probably still has them on it, I bought my 2012 with a set on it already and I have put 20k on them and can't even tell the difference. there quiet no discernible road noise even after getting some wear.

OP
OP
Lightning 95

Lightning 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After reading the link I posted above, I figured out that most online sites are selling off the 265/60-17 RSA tire in the older discontinued model, and not the newest model, which are out there if you look, for a few dollars more.
They look identical, but they are 2 different tires which they apparently modified in 2015 for the new generation PPV.
Old number 732301500 around $800 up to $1100+ per set of 4
New number 732523500 around $1100 per set of 4

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lightning 95

Lightning 95

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Has anyone out there had their PPV wheels powder coated in black chrome?

indigent

Reaction score
We replace the Goodyears on ours with the Firehawks after the set from the factory is worn out. I'm sure it's the older model tires that they were replacing. We found that the Firehawks were stiffer tire but yes, I can vouch for the out of round issue.

I have a '15PPV at work and my tires suck once they're out of round. It's like rolling down the road inside a coke can with pennies inside of it the damn thing rattles so bad.

RichardCranium

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The grip is awesome on the RSA's, no doubt. IMO, that is the only thing awesome about the tires. Agencies that buy these trucks put them on for that reason and that reason only, these certainly aren't a tire intended for mileage or ride (its the sacrifice of a speed rated tire). If they are meticulously maintained (rotated, balanced) along with any other maintenance that contributes to tire wear, you can make them last a decent amount of time. But having come from a fairly fresh set of RSA's on my PPV when I purchased it, I will never look back at them or consider running them again. I jumped up to a 265/70, which opened the choices to a wide range of tires. I followed a fellow forum members recommendation and got Continentals, I honestly could not be any happier with the ride. Mind you, I lowered mine further than about 2" more than PPV height as well with a Belltech kit, and my PPV still rides better than PPV height with the RSA's. Can't knock that at all.....

iLikeEggs

Potato!
Reaction score
Mine came with the Good Year HT load range E's on it. I ran them for a while until they wore out. I replaced them with Michelin defenders, also load range E. It's been a good tire. They can take a curb like it's nobody's business. I've got about 40k on them now and they will probably reach 60k.

GranPrix

Full Access Member
Reaction score
We replace the Goodyears on ours with the Firehawks after the set from the factory is worn out. I'm sure it's the older model tires that they were replacing. We found that the Firehawks were stiffer tire but yes, I can vouch for the out of round issue.

I have a '15PPV at work and my tires suck once they're out of round. It's like rolling down the road inside a coke can with pennies inside of it the damn thing rattles so bad.

Any reason why the swap to the Firehawks over the RSA?

RED TAHOE LS

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like Matt stated......They can take a curb like it's nobody's business. I've got about 40k on them now and they will probably reach 60k.

I just don't think you can beat Michelin tires, they have all the guts for a safe/great/smooth ride with minimum weights too balance.
David g
........:2cents: