Isles rough but otherwise runs fine

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by Richard Blakely, Oct 11, 2019 at 5:09 AM.

1. Richard Blakely

Richard Blakely TYF Newbie

Name:
    Richard
    My 2012 Tahoe, when stopped at a traffic light, varies in rpm from 500 to 600 rpm. Once I accelerate, all is well. I have replaced spark plugs and wires, mass airflow sensor. Still with same problem. I have 151,000 miles on 5.3l v8 using regular gas. On earlier models, there is an idle control valve, does this model have one? Other suggestions?

2. swathdiver

swathdiver Full Access Member

Name:
    James
    Pick up that Throttle Body and Mass Airflow Sensor cleaner kit, your throttle plate opening may be a little wide because it's dirty. Tuners routinely raise our idle about 35-50 rpms, they're a little low to maximize emissions performance. Run a few tanks of ethanol or high test gas through it too.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/CRC-MAF-Throttle-Body-Single-Use-Twin-Pack-1-Kit/36755294

[​IMG]

bigrhino and Joseph Garcia like this.
  3. Richard Blakely

Name:
    Richard
    My battery died this morning. Been threatening to for past 2-3 days. I replaced it with new battery, and found no more idle roughness and idle rpm was about 100rpm higher. I can’t see the connection between rough idle and dying battery I know the alternator gauge has been reading low since I bought it. With new battery appears to be normal at 14v read from gauge. Am I crazy??!!

4. Doubeleive

Doubeleive Supporting Member

Name:
    Wes
    no not crazy these trucks are very touchy about voltage makes them do all kinds of weird stuff, but I would as James suggested anyway as a preventative measure and toss a couple bottles of injector cleaner in the gas tank for the next 3-4 fill ups that should help

5. PNW VietVet

PNW VietVet Full Access Member

Name:
    Ron
    Also, for future reference, you kept saying a rough idle but described it as varying between 500 to 600 rpm. There is a big difference. Rough idle is a type of idle that can shake the engine to varying degrees like you have a fouled cylinder of some sort or an arcing plug wire or.....etc. The vary in rpm from 500 to 600 rpm is just a difference in idle that goes up and down like a roller coaster, if you can picture that. The battery problem can cause that type of symptom but is rarely the cause of a rough idle. This would involve two totally different diagnostic paths. Clean the fuel system up and the throttle body, make sure to follow directions completely, and run some mid grade or even premium fuel for a few tank fulls because they are not only higher octane but they have more cleansing additives in them. I recommend that after that you run at least mid grade all the time of a major supplier like Chevron or Texaco or whatever is in your area.

6. Richard Blakely

Name:
    Richard
    Great suggestions, thanks. I may have over-dramatized the rough idling. I’m just comparing our ‘07 tahoe in the same light, which is very smooth and no change in rpm. Both are at 150k miles. The tach jumps up and down on my ‘12 by 100 rpm which causes a ‘jumping’ action. Cruising is fine, no problems.

7. PNW VietVet

PNW VietVet Full Access Member

Name:
    Ron
    Ok, can you see the engine "shake" at idle or is the rpm change like a surge effect?

8. 91RS

91RS Full Access Member

Name:
    D
    Does it go away if you shift into neutral?