Is Trading a 2019 Suburban for a 2021 Suburban worth it?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I looked at a 2021 Suburban LT with no options (so that I could compare apples-to-apples). Interesting vehicle. Nice truck. Better seats for the second and third rows, better headlights, better camera system, and better side view mirrors. Down sides include shifter on the dash, park brake on the dash, keyless ignition, no locking differential. Both the 19 and 21 Suburbans can do what I need them to do quite well.

Dealer quoted me $58,795 for the new 4x4 Suburban (reduced from an MSRP of $60,795) and $38-40 K on my trade. I don’t have any ride issues, but it seems to me that there is no economic sense to a transaction if I have to come up with $18-19K plus increase my monthly payment by over $100 per month. It’s almost like paying full freight for the new truck and throwing the old one away. Just does not seem like it is worth it at these prices.

Am I missing something?

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
...seems to me that there is no economic sense to a transaction if I have to come up with $18-19K plus increase my monthly payment by over $100 per month. It’s almost like paying full freight for the new truck and throwing the old one away. Just does not seem like it is worth it at these prices.

Am I missing something?

Nope, only if you want to pay more for the latest bells and whistles. I dig the new trucks but would not yet buy one as I enjoy my older one too much. If I was regularly traveling long distances with 6 or 7 adults then maybe for their comfort but we don't.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Agree with @swathdiver and @Bob2C because IMO buying the first new year of a model is a crap shoot working out all the NEW bugs. No need to trade if you don't get an advantage you are looking for by paying more payment and a total of close to $20k.

OP
OP
Rdr854

Rdr854

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think that the 2015-2020 Suburban/Tahoe is a nice looking truck that performs well. Yes, the ride can be jarring on extremely rough roads. But, that said, not worth an expenditure of upwards of $40K to give up a perfectly nice truck. The deals are not out there like they were 18 months ago when they gave me a good enough deal for me to upgrade from a 17 LS to a 19 LT where I traded my 17 for a 19 and ended up with a lower payment and the same 60 month term and only had to write a $275 check to the dealer.

One comment I will make is that the paint jobs on the few 21 Suburban/Tahoe’s that I have seen seem to be better than the prior generation.

cpayne5

Reaction score
It's a personal decision that only you can decide, Richard.

That said, we were looking at a 2020 Suburban Premier before ultimately buying our 2021 Tahoe High Country. We really liked the Suburban and it would have been a great vehicle for us and done everything we need, but once we sat in the Tahoe, our decision was made. In our opinion, it was the superior vehicle for our needs and wants. Only you can decide what fits the bill for your wants and needs.

Good luck in your decision!

Fireman591

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hang tight and wait for the diesel option. It is going to be awesome having a huge suv pushing if not exceeding 30 mpg :) When I replace my Honda pilot in 2022 I will be getting the Yukon XL with the diesel :)

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Get a short term lease to scratch that itch. X 2 on waiting for the oil burner 3.0L turbo diesel option.

Go drive a 3.0L truck version while you’re waiting and feel that amazing motor and how quiet it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Craigy

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
IMO you have to wait for the typical 10%, 15%, 20% discounts to arrive for these to make any "economic sense" again.

You'd be taking your full depreciation hit on your 2019, and buying the 2021 at essentially full price. Double whammy.

If you wait, your 2019 might depreciate another grand or so, but the discounts will save you $5,000-$10,000.

Even then though it is a need vs want, and the frugal thing to do would be to drive your 2019 until the wheels fall off.

MainelyScott

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I’ve had good luck buying 1-3 years old with 20,000 - 30,000 miles. I’ve done it twice on Tahoe’s and saved close to a third off the cost of new. Certified used can also be a great deal because the certified warranty is better than the “new car” warranty.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518