Is this too much for an 02 Z71?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dougo

Reaction score
Wow that is AWESOME in so many ways you got really lucky do you self a favor change all the fluids i have an 06 and love it enjoy

Matthew Jeschke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am down here in southern Arizona and they frequently have them for $2000 sometimes less.

I am a bit discouraged myself because I paid $3500 for mine with horrible paint, destroyed interior, and shorty maintenance. I bought as a hobby truck and at the time that was the cheapest as I could find them. Now you can almost pick options and get them for around $2000. Look on facebook marketplace and or craigslist. Put in Phoenix and or Tucson Arizona.

A little while back there was a 04 or somewhere around there Z71 fully loaded, with 180,000 miles or so. It was $1500 *sigh*. Less than I've put into my paint job so far. And it looked mint from the photos.

I remember the day when a running 4x4 truck was like $10,000 no less (unless completely vintage and rotted out). Now you can pick them up for peanuts. Really surprises me. In my opinion, this body shape from 2000 to 2006 is the best overall, although, I feel the version before it had a better interior build quality. However, I like the LS drive-train better of 2nd gen tahoe better. It's far superior motor. My folks drove suburbans all the while when I was a kid. And now I have the 01 tahoe.

In my opinion anything around 6200 is a hell of a deal. To think a car would cost more than a truck / Tahoe is crazy. The tahoe will be running many years after the car is long dead. These trucks are virtually indestructible. Especially when well maintained.

Last edited:

Fischer

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I looked at an 02 Z71 today that was in better than good condition. Rig has 223k on original engine and tranny. It’s a three owner and current owner has owned it since 2006. Has been meticulously maintained. All services performed and documented. No leaks. Interior looks like new. Outside has a few scratches and blemishes but no rust, dents or dings. Asking price is 6200. Road test was exactly what you’d expect from a maintained vehicle. No whine or noise from rear diff, no clunking putting in gear or shifts when driving. Everything inside works as it should. 5500 is where we are now. Looking at average price on KBB, Edmunds and Carfax, that is way too much. I’d actually feel better the closer to 5k I got. Is that still too much? I’ve looked at several 04-06’s that are around the same price and mileage but have issues. Is this totally out of the park to consider?
I bought my 02 Z71 Suburban two and a half years ago with 96,000 miles on it from a personal friend that did actually take it to a mechanic in the neighborhood that I know with all the receipts. Never drink anything but Mobil 1 synthetic and hasn't since I bought it from him for $8,000 at the time the truck is meticulously clean and runs and drives the same. I would recommend trying to find something from someone who knows someone or someone you know. And as usual a car or truck is worth to you what you feel in your gut it is worth. When you get 20 years old you can throw the book out the window

alaska_guy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Looks good. Steering wheel controls not working could be also due to someone swapped the gauge cluster out. The microprocessor in the cluster needs to be programmed to work with the steering wheel controls just fyi. Radio volume works on steering but trip, gas controls on steering wheel not working points to cluster just fyi. Cost ya $100 at dealer to reprogram your cluster if that's all it is.