Is this too much for an 02 Z71?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

select127

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok, so I kind of hijacked this thread and I am sorry I did that, but here is what I offered the owner of the 2004 Tahoe Z71:

"Ok, as promised I wanted to get back to you. The best I could do is first lower the asking price based off Kelly Blue Book as a good condition vehicle based off what I found and what you had said. The high value at KBB Good Condition is $7500. But, IMO, even that is too high with the paint problems you pointed out and I found. Let's say $7000.
Then I have to figure in what I found during my inspection. Leaking trans cooler lines that will be about $50 for the pair. Steering wheel controls that do not work means a steering wheel, which is available for $315. Coolant reservoir showed slight sludge but the worst part was that is was way low. You have a coolant leak somewhere. Would have to pressure test to find the source of the leak. The worst is the sludge at the oil fill cap and the rust color on the threads of the cap where it twists in to the filler tube. This may mean that the oil pump pickup tube, in the oil pan, will have the sludge build up as well and restrict oil flow through the system. The constant water drip in the oil breaks it down and therefore hinders the lube capacity of the oil. It could even indicate a possible small head gasket leak and that could also be the source for the low coolant in the reservoir. That is major work there. Something going on for sure but until is diagnosed, cannot know for sure. That would require a cooling system pressure test, compression test with inspection of the spark plugs, check for exhaust gasses in the coolant. At the minimum, after the tests, it means dropping the oil pan and replacing the oil pump pickup tube O-ring and cleaning out the pick up. Again, major work. Plus, at least one if not 2 tire pressure sensors with the labor involved for that. Those sensors are $45 each. Plus you said something about the Bluetooth with a problem, I THINK, can't remember for sure, so maybe not. Plus anything else I find during road test and wheel removals for bearing and seals and brakes inspection. Plus labor for the trans cooling lines and steering wheel replacement.
This seems like a lot but when you let a former service manager look at a rig and a former ASE Master Tech, like myself, we tend to know weak areas for vehicles. Low mileage does not always mean great condition. I bought mine used from a tenant here at my facility. She had all maint and repair work paperwork since she bought new when work done at Kendall Chevy. I looked it over and knew what was going to be needed and did that as well. My Tahoe is 2 years older than yours and has 30k more miles. It is in perfect shape.
Best I can offer for your rig is $4000 cash. I know you don't want to hear that and likely will turn me down and you have every right to. If you want to sell, fine. If not, good luck to you."

He did email me back and said no thanks. All good.

you could've just told the guy his truck needed a good amount of work and made your offer.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
you could've just told the guy his truck needed a good amount of work and made your offer.

He is an electrician by trade and when I talked to him on the phone he acted a lot like I do because he is OCD like me. He wanted specifics and I already knew he was not going to accept my offer so I was detailed. His ad says all is great except the paint scratches and still does. He might hit me back later when he sees no one coming close to the $8750 he wants. He also knew of my qualifications from running shops.

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
He is an electrician by trade and when I talked to him on the phone he acted a lot like I do because he is OCD like me. He wanted specifics and I already knew he was not going to accept my offer so I was detailed. His ad says all is great except the paint scratches and still does. He might hit me back later when he sees no one coming close to the $8750 he wants. He also knew of my qualifications from running shops.
I think you did him a service by pointing out all you found.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pikelk98