Is this oil pressure normal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jz57

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Park the truck at a down hill slope area, let oil in the pan move forward, run the engine. It may easy than adding 2 qts oil and draining 2 qts late.

All you have to do to check the O-ring is overfill the oil pan by 2 or 3 quarts to get the oil level higher than the O-ring. I think it takes 2 quarts. You don't wanna drive it like this but it's a quick and easy test and better than tearing into it only to find it's not the problem.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Park the truck at a down hill slope area, let oil in the pan move forward, run the engine. It may easy than adding 2 qts oil and draining 2 qts late.

Never thought of that. I like that method better.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It has good oil pressure and the tick is only at start up. Its fine after its been ran

Your O-ring is fine. Just a crappy lifter(s), same as mine. Probably an AFM lifter. Between needing to do an AFM delete (already tuned out) and recently noticing that rear main leak is worsening, I have feelings that I'll be pulling the motor sooner than expected.

Onebad1983

Resident Country Dumbass
Reaction score
How normal is 60 PSI of oil pressure on an almost 190k mile 5.3? That's what mine is

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How normal is 60 PSI of oil pressure on an almost 190k mile 5.3? That's what mine is

At what RPM? Cold or hot? How high does it go when revving to ~5,000 RPM?

Normal range while cruising (1500-2000 RPM) would be 35-45, depending on temperature, oil type, etc. But, 30-50 isn't bad, either. 60 PSI at hot or even warm idle means you either have a faulty/inaccurate switch or gauge, super thick oil or a high-output pump. Cruising/revving pressure is one thing, idle pressure at X temperature is the bigger part of the story.

An honest 60 PSI (accurate sensor and gauge with normal oil) on a stock 190K motor is better than what it should be when new. It's not always a "higher-the-better" thing, though.

Onebad1983

Resident Country Dumbass
Reaction score
At what RPM? Cold or hot? How high does it go when revving to ~5,000 RPM?

Normal range while cruising (1500-2000 RPM) would be 35-45, depending on temperature, oil type, etc. But, 30-50 isn't bad, either. 60 PSI at hot or even warm idle means you either have a faulty/inaccurate switch or gauge, super thick oil or a high-output pump. Cruising/revving pressure is one thing, idle pressure at X temperature is the bigger part of the story.

An honest 60 PSI (accurate sensor and gauge with normal oil) on a stock 190K motor is better than what it should be when new. It's not always a "higher-the-better" thing, though.
I don't know what RPM. About 1600 I'd say. Mine idles at like 400-600 which I find wierd

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
16yukon