Is this normal steering freeplay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Not really sure what's normal for these Saginaw boxes. 140k on it. Original steering box. Drove a new car w/ a Saginaw in it. Felt like a rack and pinion TBH. Tighter than a nun's **** - zero play at ALL. Has me considering tearing mine down to rebuild or replace. Haven't gotten that far in the thought process, need to do more research.

What I don't know, is how much of it is due to differences in design and tooling accuracy, or how much is due to wear.

Verified everything is tight, source of play is from the steering box. No perceptible slop in intermediate shaft or anything south of the pitman arm. I can grab the input on the box and manipulate it by hand to the same effect as below.

Here's where I'm at now. Never thought it bad, but I reckon it could be better. Can any yall experienced guys chime in? Would it be reasonable to expect it to tighten up with new parts and careful preload/lash adjustment?

Edit: Oops, helps to attach things

https://imgur.com/a/np0tn39

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That doesn’t look like a lot of play. Newer rigs are just that. Everything is new not just the box. All of the moving parts. If it bothers you or isn’t safe then sure. Otherwise it’s like my old shoes. Not tight but I’m comfortable in them.

OP
OP
SnowDrifter

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
Unsafe? Nah not at all. Still better than 90% of the rigs I've driven lmao

Bothersome? No. Relative to a new rig? Yeah. BUT I've heard a bunch of stories about folks tossing XYZ steering box in there trying to get rid of some play only to find out it didn't make a change in it. Hence my probing

Big Mama

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I’m with you haven’t heard of any noticeable changes except when the first box was trashed.

Jkittre777

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello,
I have a 2004 Yukon and the steering is sooo touchy. I have replaced everything except the box. Even replaced the pump last week. No change.There is no play in the steering, just way to sensitive. Any ideas?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts