Is there a quality forum for Avalanche

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've come to realize I should have bought a Chevy Avalanche for my needs. It won't happen soon but I think I'd like to swap into one. I see that bed flipping feature as a potential problem area and I'd like to hear what people are saying. This forum has been fabulous with very low noise to signal and I'd like to find that for Avalanches.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have done a lot of research over there but those forums are not nearly so active anymore since the trucks are long out of production. One of my kids wants one...

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
https://www.chevyavalanchefanclub.com/cafcna/index.php

I used to, years ago, own an Avalanche but no more. I last owned it in 2014 before I bought my current Tahoe and joined here. I had a nice 2002 Z71 and really had no problems with it except for lifter tick noise intermittently. The one prevalent concern was always the leaking bed cover sections but I never had that problem. I got lucky. The back glass had many complaints as well about leaks and function.

I was either a member of this forum or the one that Roger is talking about but both look like the design of the website has changed. I could also have been a member of another one that morphed in to these two or has disbanded altogether. We are talking 6 years ago after all.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had 3 avys before my burb. All you need is on the above mentioned forum, as well as this one. While not near as active, a search will give you all you need to know there.

The avalanche is essentially a suburban, and the mechanical parts are the same from the front seat forward on the 07-13 (as is a tahoe). The frame and suspension are also the same, so most suburban advice crosses over. If you choose the 03-06, the front clip is the same as the silverado of that age, so the truck forum (gm-trucks.com) would apply there. The original 2002 is its own beast with limited part availability, so I would not go there...

Know the bed is not waterproof, but will keep out most water. The best mod is the homemade bed slide - I missed it so much I made one for my burb, but it wasnt the same, and I needed the rear seats. My 13 held its value better than any vehicle I have owned since they all were black diamond special editions with painted sail panels - the 12 is probably priced better, and can have the same features. All LTZs have the autoride (similar to magnaride) with rear leveling air shocks. They are expensive to replace, and last only 60k miles or so. The back window frame will crack, but liquid gasket fixes it well. Were I to buy one today, I would get a 12 or 13 Z71 as they are the easiest to maintain. You got me thinking I need to get another one now...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
After I responded as above I went to shower for work and thought while I was in there that I should have shared exactly what Scro just did. The Sub is an enclosed back area that will not leak like the Avalanche's did at times. If you need tall cargo then the bed covers come off and you can haul it and the Sub limits that but if that is the case, rent a pickup. I liked my Avalanche but I missed a Tahoe and that is why I switched from the 2002 Aval to my current 2002 Tahoe with the barn doors, which I love.

Sarah_279

Reaction score
You're probably aware of this already, but. The frame rust is real on the 2011-2013's.
There was a TSB regarding this for this platform (#PI0564B "Wax coating on frame peeling/Metal shows corrosion/rusting" Escalade, Escalade ESV, EXT, Avalanche, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe, Sierra, Yukon and Yukon XL) Might be something to look for depending on what year you end up considering.

The midgate on my '13 Avy was a PITA. Admittedly, the seals likely would've benefited from some TLC that I did not follow through with. I am not a large or strong person and I couldn't operate the midgate by myself. It required brute force, luck and a few choice swear words to get it to function as intended. It didn't leak or anything... it just wouldn't move when you wanted to use it, even from day 1. (I bought it brand new, it was garage-kept and pampered like a princess.)

But other than that, it never needed anything other than the usual maintenance.

OP
OP
PatDTN

PatDTN

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Should add the above might have helped unstuck your migrate.

I haven't gotten up close with an Avy yet. I better get a job first. I want Bluetooth streaming and guess that's 2012 or 2013 only. Also very attached to my air condioned seats so probably only the LTZs.

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Bluetooth is for phone only. Also doesnt have wifi, apps, android auto/carplay - its kinda why I sold it - but an aftermarket HU is very easy to diy on all GMT 900s. The K2 burb is the closest I could find to ride and utility with more modern features, but I miss the truckage component (hauling oil, gas, mulch, etc. was better in the avy)...

I forgot you asked a bout the flip system which is actually 3 panels on bed. The panels are heavy duty enough for a family to stand on, and all 3 will cost over a grand so make sure they are present when u buy. They are stolen, but I never had issues in over 12 years of ownership keeping my trunk locked. It makes it easy to switch from having an enclosed windproof secure super trunk (think costco) to pickup bed on the fly for taller things, and they can store in back seat floor if the whole bed is needed. I would leave the panels at home if I needed all 8 feet like I did picking up an 8' slate pool table. My panels only let water in when I went through a carwash, and it wasnt more than a couple oz...

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dvnt