Is the eLSD a "requirement" for Overlanding and Off-roading?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
H1Chester

H1Chester

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got it. Is the current G86 the Eaton TrueTrac? If so, it is a really good diff.

Also, is that just on the SUV's?, as my '21 Sierra AT4 has the G80.

Yes I am pretty sure your 21 AT4 has a G80, I think TrailBoss is the same. I don't think its an Eaton TrueTrac either. I saw or heard the brand name a little while back and went to their website. I can't remember the name of it now.

George B

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction score
I like the idea of an E-locker over the old centrifugal Govlok.

And, G80 may not indicate exactly what type of locker you get. It's just a code for a traction device in the rear diff.

Reaction score
Matt I decided to go with the stock MLSD. There are a lot of youtube videos out there but I think you can still get through plenty of obstacles with how and where you take you drive line. Maybe there will be a mechanical locker type G80 mod that can be done later when there is more aftermarket support?
I appreciate the responses. I guess for the money I spent I just wanted everything to be top-notch. I understand how tried and true the mLSD diffs are and I should be satisfied. This truck probably will never see a trail to speak of. Haha. Thanks to everyone in the thread. This is looking like a great forum and I look forward to being a contributing member.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wouldn't go with a air ride suspension if the intended primary use is off road
the only place you won't be able to go with a standard 4x4 is over larger rocks (essentially rock crawling) and the only way others are able to do that is with a solid front axle
a basic lift and larger tires will get you a slightly better approach angle, changing to a offroad bumper will help as well.

wsteele

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I like the idea of an E-locker over the old centrifugal Govlok.

And, G80 may not indicate exactly what type of locker you get. It's just a code for a traction device in the rear diff.
That might be right. I have read posts of people that have the G80 RPO called out but with their window sticker saying, "limited slip differential".

On my '21 Sierra AT4, the RPO is G80 and the window sticker calls out "auto locking differential", which I think is the Eaton MLocker, installed for years as the G80.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu