Is my 5.7 too tight?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
redwing4900

redwing4900

Reaction score
Talked to the garage today the price has grown. On top of the $300 diagnostic fee they want 1500 more to do the seal. It may be the going rate but ridiculous and out of control in my opinion when I start at $675. Since I’m hearing that the transmission is quite difficult to remove would it be better to pull the engine out again and do the seal change that way? Or is the trans the “easier of the two” jobs if there is such a thing. I haven’t started to look at the procedure for the transmission removal yet just wanted some opinions on that.
Thank you

OP
OP
redwing4900

redwing4900

Reaction score
Changed the spider injection today and it fired right up sounded very good. I'm happy for now And i may have found someone else to do the rear main seal, which is great news to me.
Question though in this picture
Just above the oil filter adapter in the block (i took it from below looking up it looks weird i know) i put a plug there because i had an extra one from the engine tear down that i couldn't remember where it went. Is that the correct spot for a plug for me? I figured either it's a place for a plug or an oil pressure sender right? Thanks

20190510_204418.jpg

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
me and a buddy removed the transfer case and transmission with a floor jack with the truck on jack stands. that was a pain but we did the whole job. if its a real shop removing the transmission is easy. but im glad its running for you now.

OP
OP
redwing4900

redwing4900

Reaction score
me and a buddy removed the transfer case and transmission with a floor jack with the truck on jack stands. that was a pain but we did the whole job. if its a real shop removing the transmission is easy. but im glad its running for you now.
I found a local trusted mechanic that's not so worried about overhead to do the rear main for 600. I really don't want to mess up a good configuration and start tearing into the transmission.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
one missed plug or hose and oops
thats why i usually get my buddy to help me on bigger jobs. he has been in the automotive field for a long time so he knows what hes doing. i like being a diy guy myself but knowing your limitations is a good thing when it comes to this stuff.

OP
OP
redwing4900

redwing4900

Reaction score
Does nobody else have this oil filter setup that could look at whether or not they have a plug there?

Capture+_2019-05-13-07-55-50.png

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
common style with the 4wd versions as it needs to clear the axle. if the rain clears up a bit today ill try to snap a pic for you

willxfs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm out of town till later this week. I can check that plug on my rig on Thursday.

OP
OP
redwing4900

redwing4900

Reaction score
Thank you for checking on that i verified with the machine shop today and they said it should be a plug I that location. I'm hoping you will find a plug there too.
I found this today

I've moved on to the electrical part of discovery now and haven't looked this up yet but a bypass? Anyone else have this?Should be interesting

20190513_213459.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firstcaddy