Is it worth buying a GM TECH 2 scanner?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

RicanGM

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 1999 GMC Sierra has automatic door locks, when the truck is running it locks and unlocks when the ignition is off.

I would like to disable that feature and I understand that I need a TECH 2 scanner to do it.

What else is the TECH 2 good for, does it read ABS/Airbags/Transmission's codes?

Last edited:

Matahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that most of the affordable Tech 2's for sale on ebay , etc... are clones. And while they might work for a while. They eventually become unpredictable. They aren't backed by any type of support and if they break for whatever reason then you are out whatever you spent + inconvenience.

I would get ahold of an MDI if you could. I don't have one but from what I gather it's the newest and preferred bidirectional tool in use by GM mechanics today..

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Has-MDI-has...e-GM-guys-take-heed-/10000000173082524/g.html

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
I have both a real and a clone, had the clone for 2+ years. Never an issue with both, and they both function the same.

DenaliEd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Fiatdale, can you read codes for airbag/abs/transmissions with the Tech 2?
Yes. You can also command things like the fuel pump, A/C Compressor, etc to come on for diagnostic purposes, on top of a lot of other things.

DenaliEd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I read somewhere that most of the affordable Tech 2's for sale on ebay , etc... are clones. And while they might work for a while. They eventually become unpredictable. They aren't backed by any type of support and if they break for whatever reason then you are out whatever you spent + inconvenience.

I would get ahold of an MDI if you could. I don't have one but from what I gather it's the newest and preferred bidirectional tool in use by GM mechanics today..

http://www.ebay.com/gds/Has-MDI-has...e-GM-guys-take-heed-/10000000173082524/g.html
The problem with MDI is you need a subscription, which I think is only available to GM Dealers.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
You can access any module in the truck with the Tech 2. Newer trucks are a bit different in what you can do with one, but for your year, absolutely no issue.

fiatdale

Houstons Best
Reaction score
You can pay for a subscription, but it can be pricey. And youd better know what youre doing (with programming a module) or youll F it up big time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mitchievu