Is a Ford F-150 Lightning EV or a Silverado EV a Good Alternative to a Tahoe/Yukon/Suburban.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Off topic but I live in Fresh Meadows Queens and have a home in Golden Beach which is in dade-broward county line. I also grew up the and spent my first 23 years in Florida. I also travel back and forth a couple times a year. Where in dade and queens you stay?
In the Ditmars area. Used to eat breakfast at Mike's Diner a lot. Went belly up unfortunately recently. In Miami Beach by 9th and Alton. Hate it there.

My place I was renting in Queens was just sold so this time around I when go there [the week after next for about 4-5 weeks] will be staying at Extended Stay in Secaucus New Jersey as it is quick and easy to get into the city. Plus I go up to Rockland and Orange County here and there so it easy access to all the highways as it is right off Route 3 next to MetLife Stadium. I am seriously thinking of moving back to Queens/Sunnyside in next year or so. Had enough of South Florida. NYC is a better fit for me then Florida for a number of reasons. I generally go up there 2-3 times a year.

Nice Escalade!

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
In the Ditmars area. Used to eat breakfast at Mike's Diner a lot. Went belly up unfortunately recently. In Miami Beach by 9th and Alton. Hate it there.

My place I was renting in Queens was just sold so this time around I when go there [the week after next for about 4-5 weeks] will be staying at Extended Stay in Secaucus New Jersey as it is quick and easy to get into the city. Plus I go up to Rockland and Orange County here and there so it easy access to all the highways as it is right off Route 3 next to MetLife Stadium. I am seriously thinking of moving back to Queens/Sunnyside in next year or so. Had enough of South Florida. NYC is a better fit for me then Florida for a number of reasons. I generally go up there 2-3 times a year.

Nice Escalade!
I been in Houston since February and I like it allot. No traffic, nice people and good job opportunity. Queens has changed allot in the last 3 years. I don’t care for Florida myself. I know exactly where you are in S. beach.

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I could only imagine the fun going [1300 miles] from Miami to Queens N.Y several times a year with a EV.

I will give the EV a big pass and do my best to keep my 5.3 Tahoe running forever. If I have to I will just keep fixing everything just as the Cubans do in Cuba.
If you take the KWH in a gallon of gas,33KWH, the math works out to where you are basically driving around with a 4 gallon gas tank - 100KWH battery - per my brother in law who just retired from Ford after 33 years. (electrical engineer)

So any way ya slice it, you have to conserve/make up for this with regen braking, etc, or it's 4 gallons of gas.

Bigger batteries add more weight, so you def hit a roadblock with weight at some point.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This is a forum for owners of big iron domestic SUVs; it's not going to be anywhere near objective about the pros and cons of EVs.

But I'll try.

I'm less concerned about range than most. Everyone's piling on with the range reduction when towing at max load; I don't think that was part of the OP's rubric. Gas mileage is shit at max load too, by the way. As regards charging stations - there will be more of those tomorrow than there are today and more the next day than there are tomorrow. Soon they'll be ubiquitous. Discount that concern.

Time to recharge is a thing. I figure we're all going to have to start building in charging stops and combining them with things we already do. Stop for lunch? Charge. Pee break? Charge. Etc. We'll get used to that, and cross to my point above, there needs to be a lot more charging stations to make it possible. They are coming.

Reliability. Anyone who wants you to believe that EVs are less reliable than ICE vehicles, all else constant, is selling ICE vehicles. EV simply have fewer moving parts, less operational friction, no exhaust system, less heat to keep in check, and, well, less liquid.

My largest concern right now is the pricing. EVs are still priced for enthusiasts, sort of like plasma TVs were at first. I saw an ad for the GMC EV pickup - sweet looking vehicle for sure, it was over $100,000 to start whereas a "comparable" Denali pickup might be $80,000. Import high end SUVs like Land Rovers and BMW X5s are already over $100K at the high end, presumably the EV version will be positioned even higher. once they roll it out. Add to that the markup silliness happening in the industry right now and it's a terrible time to buy.

I think I have 2 or 3 more years with my 2016 Tahoe before I move on. In that period of time I hope EV pricing moderates a little, and I'm sure the product availability will broaden. We'll see.

Last edited:

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember in 2018 when Marijuana and CBD were going to take over medicine, and the pot stocks were all the rage-- Canopy Growth stock was at a high of $55 , now it's under 4 bucks - because the hype is over

I regard the EV hype the same way - it'll cool off, reality sets in, and EV's will be maybe 10% of the market by 2030

Yes, I've driven a Model X Tesla with my gearhead friend, and while acceleration was amazing, not so much range, as it took 4 charges to go from Orlando to Tampa, def was NOT 300 mile range by any means.

If I needed 0-60 in 3 seconds, I wouldn't be in a Tahoe either - need range more.

Running AC or starting off with any thing less than a full charge kills range, and the thought of plugging in my vehicle every time I come home in a Florida thunderstorm, sounds like a hassle I don't need

I know - California and some countries are talking like ICE vehicles will be banned - ask Constellation Brands (Corona Beer among others) how that worked out, when legal pot and CBD were going to push alcohol out - they literally lost billions.

EV's are the new hype, but it'll level off. Lots of work to be done, and will take decades

ICE isn't going anywhere soon, there's a reason Warren Buffett is buying up Occidental Petroleum and Chevron

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I remember in 2018 when Marijuana and CBD were going to take over medicine, and the pot stocks were all the rage-- Canopy Growth stock was at a high of $55 , now it's under 4 bucks - because the hype is over

I regard the EV hype the same way - it'll cool off, reality sets in, and EV's will be maybe 10% of the market by 2030

Yes, I've driven a Model X Tesla with my gearhead friend, and while acceleration was amazing, not so much range, as it took 4 charges to go from Orlando to Tampa, def was NOT 300 mile range by any means.

If I needed 0-60 in 3 seconds, I wouldn't be in a Tahoe either - need range more.

Running AC or starting off with any thing less than a full charge kills range, and the thought of plugging in my vehicle every time I come home in a Florida thunderstorm, sounds like a hassle I don't need

I know - California and some countries are talking like ICE vehicles will be banned - ask Constellation Brands (Corona Beer among others) how that worked out, when legal pot and CBD were going to push alcohol out - they literally lost billions.

EV's are the new hype, but it'll level off. Lots of work to be done, and will take decades

ICE isn't going anywhere soon, there's a reason Warren Buffett is buying up Occidental Petroleum and Chevron
The data shows a more durable trend. Here's a decent summary I found in Car & Driver - appears EVs already account for 4.6% of the US market and as much as 86% in other countries. There's an IHS study linked in that article that predicts 25% in the US by 2030.

Those trends could be extrapolating against current enthusiasm for EVs which could decline as you say. But it doesn't seem like fossil fuel energy is getting any cheaper and the legislative activity towards carbon neutral is much broader than "California and some countries." Even China is looking at a 25% quota for what they call "new energy" vehicles by 2026. This is happening.

Berkshire Hathaway is buying oil & gas stock right now because the P/E ratios are in areas never before seen. Companies in that space are presently enjoying an opportunity to massively manipulate price, results of which will invariably get blamed on whatever President is in office and not on them. Buffett would be silly not to ride that wave a while. He also owns MidAmerican Renewables, Intelligent Energy Solutions, CalEnergy (a geothermal play), and a few European companies that are mainly wind.

pa31p

Full Access Member
Reaction score
green energy stinks.

EV lightning or EV silverado’s are good for collectors. they don’t actually make sense.

EV’s are frontloaded with pollution. most of them will never make up the difference. not only that most people cannot afford a basic EV if EV is the argument.

Love how quiet they are, but sill then I hear the rumble of my V8…..sigh

sidenote;
Midamerican, the builder of the largest wind turbine in USA, “we’re building this thing because it reduces our corporate tax rate”

81000 Gallons worth of concrete to build the base, now that’s green!
(benjamin green that is)

Last edited:

TahoeFL2017

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The data shows a more durable trend. Here's a decent summary I found in Car & Driver - appears EVs already account for 4.6% of the US market and as much as 86% in other countries. There's an IHS study linked in that article that predicts 25% in the US by 2030.

Those trends could be extrapolating against current enthusiasm for EVs which could decline as you say. But it doesn't seem like fossil fuel energy is getting any cheaper and the legislative activity towards carbon neutral is much broader than "California and some countries." Even China is looking at a 25% quota for what they call "new energy" vehicles by 2026. This is happening.

Berkshire Hathaway is buying oil & gas stock right now because the P/E ratios are in areas never before seen. Companies in that space are presently enjoying an opportunity to massively manipulate price, results of which will invariably get blamed on whatever President is in office and not on them. Buffett would be silly not to ride that wave a while. He also owns MidAmerican Renewables, Intelligent Energy Solutions, CalEnergy (a geothermal play), and a few European companies that are mainly wind.
I still wonder how charging realistically increases your home electric bill - if my AC in Florida runs constantly in the summer, on a 220 line, how is charging an EV going to NOT cost me $200/month minimum?

Because my AC costs about $200 per month in the summer. Gas costs me - about $200/month as well.

But EV's are an interesting niche vehicle, just not there quite yet.

33kwh in a gallon of gas, means that a 100kwh EV battery is essentially a vehicle with a 3 gallon gas tank - but you can keep topping off your 3 gallons every time you stop, park at home, go to a restaurant, etc, by charging everywhere you go.

Which sounds easy, but in reality, I don't get gas every time I park, go to a restaurant, or use the bathroom at rest areas - no gas there anyways.

I'm holding out for 650 mile range and 10 minutes to charge, like my Tahoe fill ups.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mistehkins

Latest posts