Is a cold air intake gonna help my RST in any way state your opinion

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BigBlueLB756

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's my MIT. It's just for show and I lost that underhood writing desk by installing it. But I feel better.

100_0677.jpg

If you do get one, make sure it has a lid instead of being open to any underhood heat.

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What part of their process do you doubt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
To massively oversimplify, I don't believe that OEM intakes are inefficient enough to be starving engines of oxygen such that a $300 bolt-on modification would increase performance more than trivially and with no negative consequence. If it were that easy and inexpensive to do, the car makers would do it.

Here's a post about cold air intakes that is not written by someone trying to sell them.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
What part of their process do you doubt?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
it's pretty well known that CAI does little to nothing at all without other supporting mods such as porting the the throttle body and intake and tuning the computer to take advantage of a little extra air. One thing it does do is change the sound because the OEM intakes are designed to be quieter. Like Will said go take a good look at the unbiased test's that been performed over and over. Even blackbear did testing on all the big name brands and posted results up (along with the requirements needed to make them actually do something).

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
it's pretty well known that CAI does little to nothing at all without other supporting mods such as porting the the throttle body and intake and tuning the computer to take advantage of a little extra air. One thing it does do is change the sound because the OEM intakes are designed to be quieter. Like Will said go take a good look at the unbiased test's that been performed over and over. Even blackbear did testing on all the big name brands and posted results up (along with the requirements needed to make them actually do something).

The blackbear tests show 20+ hp gains

cardude2000

Full Access Member
Reaction score
To massively oversimplify, I don't believe that OEM intakes are inefficient enough to be starving engines of oxygen such that a $300 bolt-on modification would increase performance more than trivially and with no negative consequence. If it were that easy and inexpensive to do, the car makers would do it.

Here's a post about cold air intakes that is not written by someone trying to sell them.

But what part of the blackbear testing process do you disagree with?

WillCO

Full Access Member
Reaction score
But what part of the blackbear testing process do you disagree with?
The implication of objectivity.

It's hard for me to take at face value tests run by companies selling the products they are testing. There are myriad ways for a tester to subtly apply his thumb to the scale. Further, I've never seen an objective third party test that confirms the kind of performance gains we typically see from CAI manufacturers and distributors. Although I concede I've not spent tons of time looking.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh