Is A Catch Can Needed On a 2017 5.3

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thirdcoast

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been doing some research on Catch Cans and the differences between Mighty Mouse and all the others such as Moroso, RSX, UPR etc. They all claim to be better.

I also read on "Bobistheoilguy" that in the new valve cover the situation has been addressed and therefore the new engines do not need a $400 add on..

Your comments please,

Thirdcoast

TooMuchTxn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mine is a 2016 5.3 tahoe but i went ahead and installed an elite catch can which seemed to have great reviews and wasn't as pricey as some of the others. I installed it at 14k miles and ive had it installed for 2000 miles. Its AMAZING how much it catches. I drive very aggressively and so probably can account for a little more blow-by but it fills about 2-4 ounces every 500 miles.

Even after just 15k miles when i was doing the 6.2 intake/throttle body swap I was BLOWN AWAY by how much oil and carbon i had in the heads/valves. Very glad I did the can.

IMG_7579.jpg

TooMuchTxn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
"I also read on "Bobistheoilguy" that in the new valve cover the situation has been addressed and therefore the new engines do not need a $400 add on.."

Can you post the link to the article? The part numbers are the same for 2016 and 2017 so im curious.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i've seen quite a few posts on "Bobistheoilguy" forum.... but no posts from bob ;)
all are from others & everyone has an opinion ;)

here is another opinion

if one drives in the slow lane & takes it easy... prolly not needed.
i am researching them b/c i tend to drive hard & i am boosted. so that limits my options in catch cans as well.

& to those that state in bob's forum that if GM engineer thought they were needed, it would have one... know nothing of manufacturers & the inept decisions made by mgmt & bean counters to save a few pennies on each car. lol i mean generally speaking manufacturers dont care if a vehicle lasts longer than 7 years.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Phoenix2k9