iPhone Mirroring Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PB&J

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Shortly after I purchased my Suburban LTZ w/ RSE in 2015 I had GM-Navigation Unlock my module and I then installed an HDMI to RCA set up to mirror my iPhone, soldering the wires into the harness behind the inputs.

It worked flawlessly for the past three years. Then there were some connection issues and I replaced the lightning cable extension, as they tend to wear out from constantly being plugged and unplugged from the phone. It began working intermittently, sometimes producing a blue screen, sometimes working and sometimes a grey screen. Now the "video" icon on the MyLink touchscreen is inoperative, meaning if you touch it, literally nothing happens. I replaced the HDMI to RCA converter thinking maybe it had given up the ghost, but that did nothing. I plugged a set of RCA cords directly from the inputs in the back of the center console into each converter and still nothing.

Has anyone had a similar issue? Could the wires I soldered to the harness be failing? Why would video icon on Mylink not switch over to aux input?

OP
OP
P

PB&J

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Shortly after I purchased my Suburban LTZ w/ RSE in 2015 I had GM-Navigation Unlock my module and I then installed an HDMI to RCA set up to mirror my iPhone, soldering the wires into the harness behind the inputs.

It worked flawlessly for the past three years. Then there were some connection issues and I replaced the lightning cable extension, as they tend to wear out from constantly being plugged and unplugged from the phone. It began working intermittently, sometimes producing a blue screen, sometimes working and sometimes a grey screen. Now the "video" icon on the MyLink touchscreen is inoperative, meaning if you touch it, literally nothing happens. I replaced the HDMI to RCA converter thinking maybe it had given up the ghost, but that did nothing. I plugged a set of RCA cords directly from the inputs in the back of the center console into each converter and still nothing.

Has anyone had a similar issue? Could the wires I soldered to the harness be failing? Why would video icon on Mylink not switch over to aux input?

So it turns out that it’s not a phone mirroring issue at all. I decided to try a dvd just to see if I could get the “video” icon to respond. The DVD player accepted the disc but the icon still did not respond, nor was I able to get athe dvd to play or even eject the disc. The rear screens remained blank.

Apparently the DVD player freezing is somewhat common. I unhooked the positive battery cable and waited a few minutes. Once the cable was reattached and car restarted, the DVD player lit up, the disc ejected and the ability to mirror my phone was instantly restored.

Mystery solved...