io3 upgrade

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gio270

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hello all. Can anyone advise what is involved in upgrading an io3 radio for a 2015 Tahoe to an io5?

marcello1395

Reaction score
From what I've seen it's close to $3K.

Probably less if you source the radio elsewhere and just get the harness from this place. The radio will also need programming. I'm debating if I should go IO5/6 or just go aftermarket with a Crutchfield radio. Should be a lot cheaper.

Chickensandwich

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t go aftermarket. I’d buy from that company that has the io6 units in, they program to your vin, and all you do is install it. Otherwise you may go to your dealer and they maybe won’t program it for you or tell you that they can’t..just not worth it.

venice

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
From what I've seen it's close to $3K.

Probably less if you source the radio elsewhere and just get the harness from this place. The radio will also need programming. I'm debating if I should go IO5/6 or just go aftermarket with a Crutchfield radio. Should be a lot cheaper.
I am able to program, all I need is to buy the IO6 hmi?

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am able to program, all I need is to buy the IO6 hmi?
mmmm, maybeeee if you have the 8" screen already
i know you can go from 5 to 6 that way, unsure about previous versions
you can get a "kit" essentially but it's not cheap over 1k but pretty sure it's not 3 as previously stated
I know there is a whole bunch of compatibility stuff that needs to be verified before going down that rabbit hole

venice

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
mmmm, maybeeee if you have the 8" screen already
i know you can go from 5 to 6 that way, unsure about previous versions
you can get a "kit" essentially but it's not cheap over 1k but pretty sure it's not 3 as previously stated
I know there is a whole bunch of compatibility stuff that needs to be verified before going down that rabbit hole
Thanks for your input

jabre

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I upgraded my 2017 PPV from IO3 to a Jensen 10.1" head unit. The kit from Crutchfield preserved my backup camera functionality even though it included a new camera, which I have not installed. The price was very reasonable and I'm happy with the large screen and the benefits of an up to date Android Auto integration. It was an easy installation. I took my time installing and reassembling over a couple of evenings.

I also purchased a replacement heated steering wheel and clock spring (who came up with that name?). Both are installed but the stereo controls (right side buttons) don't work. I have not yet had the time to troubleshoot as I'm swamped with work. I don't expect it to take much to resolve because in the end the steering control is just a resistor network. I figure that *worst case* I may end up needing a current source to generate a voltage at the key presses. TBD. In the interim, I really like that the stereo has a knob for volume control and touch station selection in such a large format that I do not yet regret the current lack of steering wheel control.

falconK

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Hi, I own a 2015 Tahoe PPV, and I'm trying to install an after market 10.1" head unit too.
Could you please post the item numbers of the kit and/or any interfaces you had to buy to get the new radio installed?
I went through the PAC website but they have multiple options for interfaces and I can't figure out which one is the one I need.
My PPV does not even have any wheel controls, so I don't need that.
Any item info you could share will be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

jabre

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
@falconK, I configured and ordered the kit from Crutchfield. It included:
- Metra 99-3015G Dash Kit
- PAC RP5-GM51 Wiring Interface
- Antenna Adapter
- Jensen CAR110X

I did take the wiring harnesses from Jensen and PAC to the bench to solder/shrink wrap together before installing in the car. Glad I did so as it made it much easier than trying to connect the wiring while in the car.

2015TahoePPV

Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I upgraded my 2017 PPV from IO3 to a Jensen 10.1" head unit. The kit from Crutchfield preserved my backup camera functionality even though it included a new camera, which I have not installed. The price was very reasonable and I'm happy with the large screen and the benefits of an up to date Android Auto integration. It was an easy installation. I took my time installing and reassembling over a couple of evenings.

I also purchased a replacement heated steering wheel and clock spring (who came up with that name?). Both are installed but the stereo controls (right side buttons) don't work. I have not yet had the time to troubleshoot as I'm swamped with work. I don't expect it to take much to resolve because in the end the steering control is just a resistor network. I figure that *worst case* I may end up needing a current source to generate a voltage at the key presses. TBD. In the interim, I really like that the stereo has a knob for volume control and touch station selection in such a large format that I do not yet regret the current lack of steering wheel control.

Don't expect the aftermarket interface to "see" the "resistor network" of the steering wheel buttons. I'm going down that rabbit hole at the moment with an Alpine head unit and idatalink Maestro interface on my '15 PPV.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic