Intermittent Starting

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Battery fully charged, alternator puts out 14+ volts. Interior has barely any power and vehicle can be hard to start. Not enough power to operate power sliding doors. Fuel pump kicks on but barely any juice to starter, lights dim. Not enough power at OBDII connector to power up Tech2. Once it kicks over though, all seems normal.

Loose wires or corroded wires or both? What does it sound like to y'all?

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Battery fully charged, alternator puts out 14+ volts. Interior has barely any power and vehicle can be hard to start. Not enough power to operate power sliding doors. Fuel pump kicks on but barely any juice to starter, lights dim. Not enough power at OBDII connector to power up Tech2. Once it kicks over though, all seems normal.

Loose wires or corroded wires or both? What does it sound like to y'all?

Either/or. You gots too much resistance.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
start checking resistance/voltage till you find the problem area, like for instance find a good ground and check voltage at starter, fuse box, etc.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After further reflection, all being fine once the engine is running leads me to believe it's an issue with the 12V+ circuit from the battery. I'd start at the battery terminal and trace the wiring out from there. The battery itself could have a weak internal connection to the terminal. It's plenty solid enough to pass 12V and virtually no amperage to a voltmeter or even low-amperage accessories, but can't support enough current to operate motors in the doors, power windows, and surely not the starter. This is where load-testing the battery comes in to play.

OP
OP
swathdiver

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Battery cables looked fine. Then I focused on starter and checking connections which were good. Put it back on battery charge and it did not take. Put it on 50-Amp start and it struggled. As usual, I skipped the easy and started thinking too much and off on rabbit trails. Grabbed a $50 Walmart battery with a 1 year warranty and the thing started up with gusto! No, it started with such force it seemed like the starter was going to come flying off! Problem solved for $49.99 + tax! Whew! Was not looking forward to battery cables or the starter!

Thanks for the assistance fellas!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hdheffel01