Intermittent dead pedal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigdog9191999

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im in New Philly Ohio. If it was a wiring issue, wouldnt it at any pedal position? This only happens with the first maybe 1/2" of pressing down on the pedal and it doesnt happen every time.

you would think, but much like humans they sometimes do unexplainable things for unexplainable reasons. could be engine movement, or bumps ( or previous bumps that moved wires, ) but it is one of the common things for odd things to happen.

bottom line is there are only so many componets to the system and if you can check them out your ahead of the game ( instead of just loading the parts cannon and firing away with spendy items)

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Im in New Philly Ohio. If it was a wiring issue, wouldnt it at any pedal position? This only happens with the first maybe 1/2" of pressing down on the pedal and it doesnt happen every time.

Not necessarily. As the engine rotates slightly -- or more, if the DS engine mount is bad -- under accel/decel the TPS wires can move and break, or wear through insulation. As @PNW VietVet noted, it's a common issue with the wires near the TPS connector; they can wear through and possibly break under the insulation. A careful examination of the wires from that connector back a foot or so might find an intermittent wire connection.

OP
OP

99Dyna

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Not necessarily. As the engine rotates slightly -- or more, if the DS engine mount is bad -- under accel/decel the TPS wires can move and break, or wear through insulation. As @PNW VietVet noted, it's a common issue with the wires near the TPS connector; they can wear through and possibly break under the insulation. A careful examination of the wires from that connector back a foot or so might find an intermittent wire connection.
OK so when you say TPS. Is there a tps sensor on the throttle body AND the pedal or just the pedal or just the throttle body? I just want to make sure Im looking at the correct area or wire harness. From what i was told, or what i think i was told, is the throttle boy and the pedal have a tps on them.

OP
OP

99Dyna

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
The TPS is the throttle "position" sensor on the throttle body and the sensor at the throttle pedal is called the "Throttle Pressure Sensor" or the "Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor".
Oh ok. Got it. Thanks. Now with the pedal assembly or something associated with it, is there an electric motor anywhere? Because the noise that i sometimes hear is a motor type or gear or almost like a vacuum cleaner sound when the "dead" pedal happens.

Scottydoggs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh ok. Got it. Thanks. Now with the pedal assembly or something associated with it, is there an electric motor anywhere? Because the noise that i sometimes hear is a motor type or gear or almost like a vacuum cleaner sound when the "dead" pedal happens.
that could be the ebcm its under the drivers seat under the cab. when you nail the brakes and hear all that whining with the abs, thats the ebcm.

this was in the snow 2wd spinning the tires a bit with tc on. not hitting the brakes when the sound shows up. at the end the best of it.

OP
OP

99Dyna

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
that could be the ebcm its under the drivers seat under the cab. when you nail the brakes and hear all that whining with the abs, thats the ebcm.

this was in the snow 2wd spinning the tires a bit with tc on. not hitting the brakes when the sound shows up. at the end the best of it.
No the noise im getting is nothing like that. Mine sounds like its below the dash, around fire wall area, near the pedals and ONLY happens when the pedal goes dead. And again, if i put an inch or more into the pedal, youd never know anything was wrong. That last statement doesnt mean for everyone to comment back "then just give an inch or more on the pedal everytime!" lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fitransmission