Intermittent battery drain - '06

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
4WDTRK

4WDTRK

sleeps in garage
Reaction score
Good idea. In this case I've been wanting to upgrade my cluster anyway so I think I'll go that route. Even if it doesn't fix the problem I'll get the trans temp gauge I've always wanted and some nicer customized gauges.

OP
OP
4WDTRK

4WDTRK

sleeps in garage
Reaction score
Well I got my new cluster installed and I'm pretty happy with it. Unfortunately I'm still having the intermittent battery drain issue.

When I left it last night everything was normal. This morning I opened the and closed the door then rechecked and the amp draw was back.

At least I can scratch the cluster off the list. What should I check next, something isn't going to sleep like it should?

cluster.jpg

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You are going to have to idenitfy which fuse (circuit) has the draw and then look at the wiring diagrams to determine what all is on that circuit, including the wires. Then rule out each module and wire on that fuse by checking their individual current draw while the issue is happening.

Eric has a pretty good troubleshooting flow.

OP
OP
4WDTRK

4WDTRK

sleeps in garage
Reaction score
Yea I watched both parts of that video from South Main Auto a while ago. It was very informative. I'm going to need to dig in a bit deeper. I think the key will be finding the fuse with the 1.1amp draw. There are fuses that show different amp draws, but I haven't checked all of them yet.

ncalvo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck tracking down the electrical gnome.
I had a parasitic drain it turned out to be on my INFO Circuit, which has my rear seat dvd player/tv. Since pulling the fuse I have not had a drain. It was hard to locate because the issue was intermittent it wouldn't occur every time.
Someday when my kids get older I'll have to figure out a fix either replace the player or maybe put a switch on the circuit. Goodluck

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Good luck tracking down the electrical gnome.
I had a parasitic drain it turned out to be on my INFO Circuit, which has my rear seat dvd player/tv. Since pulling the fuse I have not had a drain. It was hard to locate because the issue was intermittent it wouldn't occur every time.
Someday when my kids get older I'll have to figure out a fix either replace the player or maybe put a switch on the circuit. Goodluck
Wiring harness is likely rubbed through and touching chassis ground intermittently.

OP
OP
4WDTRK

4WDTRK

sleeps in garage
Reaction score
I think I may have got it figured out! Thanks to @ncalvo his post helped to scrutinize the INFO circuit. After pulling this fuse I haven't been able to reproduce the drain. The circuit is for Onstar/Rear Entertainment. In my case I have Onstar, but no rear entertainment. Onstar was disabled last year so I don't need that anymore. It's interesting my issue seemed to start right around when Onstar was decommissioned.

I'll keep monitoring and hopefully this is it! Thanks for everyone's help so far!