Intermediate Shaft / Steering Column Bearing Replacement - 2004 Tahoe

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Thouse

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There are plenty of videos on YouTube for this but I decided to make another one...

Just wanted to say thank you so much for this. I purchased my 04 tahoe back on 10/26 and when I did I immediately noted a faint "clunking" felt through the wheel when turning.

The dealer gave me a "due slip" and they are taking it back on 11/20 to investigate.

I kinda wanna leave a note in the truck when they pick it up that says "please check the ISS" but don't know if that would be annoying.

HiHoeSilver

Away!
Reaction score
Just wanted to say thank you so much for this. I purchased my 04 tahoe back on 10/26 and when I did I immediately noted a faint "clunking" felt through the wheel when turning.

The dealer gave me a "due slip" and they are taking it back on 11/20 to investigate.

I kinda wanna leave a note in the truck when they pick it up that says "please check the ISS" but don't know if that would be annoying.

Oh, they know about it. Tell them you want the new ISS and the bearing replaced. I haven't changed either of mine yet. I've just "exercised" it to redistribute grease. I've done it twice now. Lasted roughly a year each time until it slowly comes back.

Watch yourself on this one. 20 minutes and I could tell you I fixed it, and you wouldn't notice you got ***** for about a year.

Make sure this isn't all they're doing to "fix" your issue. Take a picture of your current bearing and maybe put a discrete mark (and photo of it) on the ISS, so when they tell you they changed them, you can call them out.

hertahoe

Reaction score
I did this about a month ago and the difference is incredible! Yes that collar was a PIA, but just go slow and it will seat eventually.

Larryjb

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just did the intermediate shaft last night. I have a neat trick to help guide the shaft back through the firewall. The angle is quite steep and it can be tricky to get it poked through. I popped a length of Nalgene tubing onto the end of the shaft. (Nalgene is soft and can fairly easily squish onto the end.) I then fed the tubing through the hole, and the shaft followed right through without any fuss.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
willie110hh