Intermediate Shaft / Steering Column Bearing Replacement - 2004 Tahoe

Discussion in 'Tech Info' started by SevenFortyOne, May 24, 2017.

Car Parts
  1. SevenFortyOne

SevenFortyOne TYF Newbie

Name:
    Rob
    There are plenty of videos on YouTube for this but I decided to make another one...

DenaliJJ and inmypassatlife like this.
  2. Thouse

Thouse Full Access Member

Name:
    Tyler
    Just wanted to say thank you so much for this. I purchased my 04 tahoe back on 10/26 and when I did I immediately noted a faint "clunking" felt through the wheel when turning.

The dealer gave me a "due slip" and they are taking it back on 11/20 to investigate.

I kinda wanna leave a note in the truck when they pick it up that says "please check the ISS" but don't know if that would be annoying.

3. HiHoeSilver

HiHoeSilver Away!

Name:
    Nate
    Oh, they know about it. Tell them you want the new ISS and the bearing replaced. I haven't changed either of mine yet. I've just "exercised" it to redistribute grease. I've done it twice now. Lasted roughly a year each time until it slowly comes back.

Watch yourself on this one. 20 minutes and I could tell you I fixed it, and you wouldn't notice you got boned for about a year.

Make sure this isn't all they're doing to "fix" your issue. Take a picture of your current bearing and maybe put a discrete mark (and photo of it) on the ISS, so when they tell you they changed them, you can call them out.

Thouse and Tonyrodz like this.
  4. hertahoe

hertahoe Member

Name:
    Darren
    I did this about a month ago and the difference is incredible! Yes that collar was a PIA, but just go slow and it will seat eventually.