Intellibeam doesn't work when fog lights on??!??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fog lights are for driving in foggy conditions in all my years of driving the last thing you want to use is bright lights it makes it pretty blinding; I don't see why we need auto fog light. I want control of fog lights
Again this is NOT the issue, the issue is the "automatic" high beam/low beam system will not operate with the fog lights on because the fog light output interrupts the sensor that is used to detect oncoming light, it needs a certain level of darkness to sense oncoming light and switch the high beams to low beams for the lazy people.

Blackcar

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Again this is NOT the issue, the issue is the "automatic" high beam/low beam system will not operate with the fog lights on because the fog light output interrupts the sensor that is used to detect oncoming light, it needs a certain level of darkness to sense oncoming light and switch the high beams to low beams for the lazy people.
Hello, I was replying to OP

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello, I was replying to OP
me too, and answered the question a couple more times along the way
op post--Why can't you leave the fog lights on AND have auto bright (intellieam)
answer- read above
the question was about intellibeam and everyone went off course to there personal opinions on brights and fogs, yada yada

Greekchef

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Why can't you leave the fog lights on AND have auto bright (intellieam)? When you have the fog lights on and you turn on the brights, the fog lights go off. Why can't this work with the auto brights?

Just wondering.
I agree. I just picked up my 2023 Yukon Denali. And it does that also. So dumb. But that’s the design. Can’t do anything about it. I just keep the fogs on and then the highs on manually when I need them. Which isn’t too often since the lows and fogs out out great light.

OP
OP
P

Power_Dr

Reaction score
if you want high beams and fogs that is easily done with wiring, GM isn't going to make it happen, wire it yourself and carry on, quit moaning and crying about it.

in order for the intellibeam to "work" it needs to be able to "detect" oncoming light, with the fog lights on it is unable to detect the oncoming light, that is why and is just the way it is period.
Wes, I never saw this reply, but THIS is the answer I was looking for. Now it makes sense why you can't have the fogs on and have intellibeam. Thank you for this answer!! I knew there had to be a reason but I never thought that there would be too much light output for the intellibeam to work correctly.

Vladimir2306

Full Access Member
Reaction score
And why turn on the fog lights and high beams at the same time? After all, this is contrary to common sense. High beam in fog is dangerous, just like PTF on a clear night only makes it worse. That's why GM made these two features incompatible

K2 Kaiju

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its GM safety programming. I added fog lights to my rig using an aftermarket harness that plugs into the parking/DRL socket and keeps fogs on at all times low or high. There is no on/off switch nor fog icon; my truck doesn't know it has fog lights so its not programmed as such. My fogs are super bright H11 LEDs that are MUCH brighter than the OEM incandescent ones. When I use Intellibeam - my truck has no problem detecting the oncoming lights and shifting down to low beams. Thus, it must be programming specific to OEM fogs, most likely because brights are shit in fog. Kind of like the AC fan dropping down during a phone call, GM engineers do stuff we never really would have thought of...

koachdaddy

Reaction score
Couple additional thoughts for this one. Yes, I too would like to set-n-forget-it when it comes to the Intellibeamer option so that the system can alternate between low/high beam operation without manually selecting everytime I would like the fogs on. I also modified the switch (removed spring) so that I can also permanently turn off the lights when desired. Like a previous poster, I prefer to have control over all lighting options. With that, I also installed a jumper that allows me to run all three lights (LB, HB, and fog) if desired. Why? Ex; while flat towing a Wrangler from FL to CA and crossing mountains in pitch black, it was very desirable to have as much light as possible. Is this a normal scenario for me? No and if it were, I'd install light bars or something similar. My point- it was definitely beneficial to have all lights on while traversing mountains at night.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eliteweapons