intellibeam - automatic high/low beams, how do you force it to start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

04ctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is there a sequence you need to do? (flash high beams?)

certain conditions to meet an algorithm? (over certain speed, cruise set, no vehicles detected by collision avoidance?)

ours work GREAT...when they do work, but sometimes, you can ride for an hour without them taking over automatically.

we rode thru the country last week, and I could not figure how to make them start working.
at some point, I set the cruise, and they came on.

then stopped & took off driving, and they worked again without hitting the cruise.

was a bright full moon night.

Tinker

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Leave it at "neutral" (not on brights). Turn off the lights, then turn back to auto. It will then reset and be back to auto. It cancels if you go back to brights again. The instructions are in the manual btw. Enjoy.

thebishman

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When driving along just push forward to put the hi beams on then immediately pull the stalk back for low beams. You'll see the green 'A' displayed on the dash. That's all you need to do.

Won't work with the fog lights turned on, or if you manually start changing from hi to low beams.

OP
OP

04ctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When driving along just push forward to put the hi beams on then immediately pull the stalk back for low beams. You'll see the green 'A' displayed on the dash. That's all you need to do.

Won't work with the fog lights turned on, or if you manually start changing from hi to low beams.

this dude for the win.....we were able to make it go to "auto" and the little icon came on the dash,
and of course, I told the wife "READ THE MANUAL" ...and she just laughed and laughed...

OP
OP

04ctd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From the GM Upfitter website's PDF:

Automatic High Beam Assist (AHBA)

The automatic high beam assist (AHBA) system operates the high beam headlamps ON and OFF automatically when the system is activated and certain conditions are met. The AHBA system consists of a front camera module that detects light and is able to identify approaching vehicles on an even, straight road at a distance of greater than 0.4 km (0.25 mi). The front camera module analyzes light color, intensity, and movement.

The AHBA system will turn OFF the high beam headlamps when approaching vehicle headlamps or preceding vehicle taillights are detected by the front camera module. AHBA can be deactivated when the headlamp dimmer switch is moved from the neutral position to the high beam or flash to pass positions. AHBA can be reactivated by operating the high beam select switch from the neutral position to the high beam position twice within 2 seconds.

AHBA System Activation
• Vehicle ON
• Headlamp switch placed in the AUTO position
• Headlamp dimmer switch must be in the neutral position
• Outside lighting conditions must be dark
• Vehicle speed greater than 25 mph (40 km/h)

AHBA System Operation
The following are conditions that the AHBA system will turn the high beam headlamps off during operation:
• The system detects approaching traffic headlamps
• The system detects preceding traffic tail lamps
• Ambient light level too high due to towns or twilight situations
• The vehicle’s speed drops below 13 mph (22 km/h)
• Delay

Note: AHBA may not operate properly if any of the following conditions exist:
• Approaching and preceding vehicles lamps are undetectable due to dirt, snow, road spray, smoke, fog, or any other airborne conditions.
• The front camera module is covered with ice, dirt, snow, haze, or is obstructed.
• The vehicle is being driven on winding or hilly road conditions which would make any on coming vehicle headlamps undetectable by the AHBA.

AHBA System Deactivation
• Manually operating the headlamp dimmer switch from neutral to high beam position
• AHBA is deactivated automatically when the front or rear fog lamps are turned ON

AHBA System Indicator
The status of the AHBA system is shown by a green indicator located on the instrument panel cluster. When AHBA is active, the indicator will be illuminated continuously. If the operator deactivates the AHBA system, the indicator will turn off.

Avyman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
So is this the sensor on the back side of the rear view mirror? Next to the plug in or combo of both the one in the mirror and the dash

Last edited:

Avyman

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
From the GM Upfitter website's PDF:

Automatic High Beam Assist (AHBA)

The automatic high beam assist (AHBA) system operates the high beam headlamps ON and OFF automatically when the system is activated and certain conditions are met. The AHBA system consists of a front camera module that detects light and is able to identify approaching vehicles on an even, straight road at a distance of greater than 0.4 km (0.25 mi). The front camera module analyzes light color, intensity, and movement.

The AHBA system will turn OFF the high beam headlamps when approaching vehicle headlamps or preceding vehicle taillights are detected by the front camera module. AHBA can be deactivated when the headlamp dimmer switch is moved from the neutral position to the high beam or flash to pass positions. AHBA can be reactivated by operating the high beam select switch from the neutral position to the high beam position twice within 2 seconds.

AHBA System Activation
• Vehicle ON
• Headlamp switch placed in the AUTO position
• Headlamp dimmer switch must be in the neutral position
• Outside lighting conditions must be dark
• Vehicle speed greater than 25 mph (40 km/h)

AHBA System Operation
The following are conditions that the AHBA system will turn the high beam headlamps off during operation:
• The system detects approaching traffic headlamps
• The system detects preceding traffic tail lamps
• Ambient light level too high due to towns or twilight situations
• The vehicle’s speed drops below 13 mph (22 km/h)
• Delay

Note: AHBA may not operate properly if any of the following conditions exist:
• Approaching and preceding vehicles lamps are undetectable due to dirt, snow, road spray, smoke, fog, or any other airborne conditions.
• The front camera module is covered with ice, dirt, snow, haze, or is obstructed.
• The vehicle is being driven on winding or hilly road conditions which would make any on coming vehicle headlamps undetectable by the AHBA.

AHBA System Deactivation
• Manually operating the headlamp dimmer switch from neutral to high beam position
• AHBA is deactivated automatically when the front or rear fog lamps are turned ON

AHBA System Indicator
The status of the AHBA system is shown by a green indicator located on the instrument panel cluster. When AHBA is active, the indicator will be illuminated continuously. If the operator deactivates the AHBA system, the indicator will turn off.
So what year did this happen cause I have an 04 Tahoe now and the pin out on the mirror says it has an auto high/low switch but it doesn’t work and from what I remember taking my cluster out to re-solder my PRNDL lights I didn’t have an “A” in the cover either. Just found it weird that I have an auto high/low switch in the mirror but no info on an 04-06. But it is also in my e Manual too. Thanks