intake snorkel tube off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
is it normal for the engine to work perfectly with the intake tube off?

i pulled my intake tube to clean the throttle body (second go over it looks brand new now ) it's actuation is smooth now as well when I open it with my finger

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
it might idle fine or even rev up ok but if you drove it with the intake tube off at some point it's going to either throw a code or do something goofy

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never mind the fact that you're sucking unfiltered air into the engine. Never a good idea. As soon as you close the hood you'll be creating all kinds of vortices in the engine bay, knocking loose all the dirt and crud on the engine, sucking it directly into the intake.

Meccanoble

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most cars I seen or knew would barely start without the intake tubing so I'm surprised it does that much for you. I remember driving my boosted Nissan Maxima ages ago and car would shut off if intake popped off. I thought it was a pressure issue or something

OP
OP
B

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Never mind the fact that you're sucking unfiltered air into the engine. Never a good idea. As soon as you close the hood you'll be creating all kinds of vortices in the engine bay, knocking loose all the dirt and crud on the engine, sucking it directly into the intake.
it was only for a couple of min for deep cleaning the throttle body.. the butterfly was not moving smoothly. it was getting caught up while "manually moving" it.

looks like there was a vacuum leak at the throttle body
see the dirt collected on the right of the throttle body edge in the before photo

20200704_193513.jpg before.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juju14