Intake Questions

Discussion in 'Performance' started by OilfieldTrash78, Aug 9, 2018.

Sponsored By: Black Bear Performance
  1. OilfieldTrash78

OilfieldTrash78 Full Access Member

Name:
    Chris
    So, I had an aFe intake on my ‘16 Denali, but it was too loud, and ended up selling it. Are there any intakes that provide comparable performance gains without all the noise?

Thanks

2. Rocket Man

Rocket Man Sometimes A Dumbass

Name:
    Mark
    Intakes do not provide performance gains, at least not enough to notice on our heavy trucks. Theres a thread with Dyno results here using all the popular cai's and the most gained was about 4-5 hp. Most guys like them for the clean look or the throaty sound.

Kpwweb likes this.
  3. drakon543

drakon543 Full Access Member

Name:
    james
    there are a couple companies that make quieter intake setups. see if volant makes one of thier enclosed intakes for your truck. im not sure what your end goal is oilfield but if your not after maximum hp and all that i would suggest a stock drop in k&n filter and just get yourself a tune after that. finding quiet performance parts will either not exist or you will be paying extra. stock oem parts are usually designed to be the happy medium, nice and quiet but emough power to do what the vehicle was designed to do.

Green97Tahoe and Galante like this.
  4. Rich16LTZ

Rich16LTZ Member

Name:
    Rich
    Disagree. Black Bear has posted dyno results showing much higher gains than 4-5hp. There's also other dyno videos showing 15hp gains on a 5.3. Also, my Volant, with exhaust, gained 2-3 mpg highway on a 15 Silverado. Cheap ass, open "hot air" intakes don't provide performance gains is a statement I'd agree with.

5. Rocket Man

Name:
    Mark
    Maybe with a tune also, but no way is there 15 hp to gain from a CAI. Show me the Dyno results without a different tune that gains anywhere near that. The Blackbear ones include a tune I’m pretty sure. That’s what they make their money doing.

6. Rich16LTZ

Rich16LTZ Member

Name:
    Rich
    Black Bear's results do not include a tune or exhaust, done on a stock truck.

7. OilfieldTrash78

OilfieldTrash78 Full Access Member

Name:
    Chris
    I have seen the results, and that’s why I went with the AFE intake. It was just too loud for my taste

8. Rocket Man

Name:
    Mark
    Things must have changed for the 15-up. The NBS and NNBS only gained 4-5 hp according to dyno results. GM must have really choked the new intakes.

9. Rocket Man

Name:
    Mark
    Go back and look again. All those dyno results have a note that states “ minimal tuning required” at the very least, and some state extensive tuning required. In the description of the different intakes is where the tuning notes are located. I stand by my original statement.

chicagofan00 likes this.