Intake manifold gasket replacement advice needed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

XL04

Reaction score
My 2004 Yukon XL is throwing a cel for p0101, p0174, p0171 so I decided to clean the throttle body and maf sensor today. After putting that back together it was still running a little rough. Next up was the water test. I squirted a little water on the intake manifold and steam came out the tailpipe.
So I need to replace...

1) Intake manifold gasket (looks like everyone recommends the felpro PermaDryPlus.)

2) dorman knock sensor harness.

3) knock sensor. (Is brand really important?)

4) rtv dam around the knock sensors.

My question is do I really need Acdelco knock sensors or can I use the napa knock sensors? I'd like to get this done tomorrow and napa has their knock sensors on hand. I'm not going to the dealer for acdelco knock sensors. I could order them online @ $35 each but then I'm waiting on shipping.

Also do I have to replace the valley pan gasket or not unless needed?

Also if anyone has advice or tips on the job at hand I'd appreciate any advice. I'm not too intimidated by the job itself doesnt look too bad and I will have help.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd stick with ACDelco Professional or GM OE but that's me. Don't know anything about NAPAs sensors. If you discovered that they were made by the same vendor then it would not matter to me.

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My 2004 Yukon XL is throwing a cel for p0101, p0174, p0171 so I decided to clean the throttle body and maf sensor today. After putting that back together it was still running a little rough. Next up was the water test. I squirted a little water on the intake manifold and steam came out the tailpipe.
So I need to replace...

1) Intake manifold gasket (looks like everyone recommends the felpro PermaDryPlus.)

2) dorman knock sensor harness.

3) knock sensor. (Is brand really important?)

4) rtv dam around the knock sensors.

My question is do I really need Acdelco knock sensors or can I use the napa knock sensors? I'd like to get this done tomorrow and napa has their knock sensors on hand. I'm not going to the dealer for acdelco knock sensors. I could order them online @ $35 each but then I'm waiting on shipping.

Also do I have to replace the valley pan gasket or not unless needed?

Also if anyone has advice or tips on the job at hand I'd appreciate any advice. I'm not too intimidated by the job itself doesnt look too bad and I will have help.

I just did this job a week and half ago. In my research I found that AC delco se does are a must. I have seen multiple videos where people were doing the job for the 2nd 3rd or 4th time because they used discount parts (to include napa) .

I went with ac delco knock sensors, dorman harness, felpro gaskets for intake manifold, valley cover, throttle body and new fuel injector o-rings. I also took each injector off and cleaned them with berryman b12 cleaner.

The job took about 5 hours because I cleaned everything.

I was debating on the valley gasket but I'm glad I did it. The felpro looks to be. Much better gasket than what is there from the factory. I also changed out the grommets for the knock sensors on the valley cover

The way I looked at it was. It's a decent job and theres a lot to it. I didnt want to have to do it again.

If I had more money available I would have done. New oil pressure sensor and cam sensor. Even tho there was nothing wrong with them. It's just when the intake is off they are right there and super easy to get to lol. "Preventative maintenance"

I got everything off Amazon with 2 day shipping with prime

OP
OP
X

XL04

Reaction score
I'd stick with ACDelco Professional or GM OE but that's me. Don't know anything about NAPAs sensors. If you discovered that they were made by the same vendor then it would not matter to me.

I'm usually with you on the OEM parts for vehicles. However in this case I do not really want to wait until next week for acdelco knock sensors. I'm not paying the local dealer $100 per sensor. If someone tells me that aftermarket knock sensors are a big no no I'll wait and order them online @ $35 each. The biggest thing is I want to get my truck back on the road tomorrow.

OP
OP
X

XL04

Reaction score
I just did this job a week and half ago. In my research I found that AC delco se does are a must. I have seen multiple videos where people were doing the job for the 2nd 3rd or 4th time because they used discount parts (to include napa) .

I went with ac delco knock sensors, dorman harness, felpro gaskets for intake manifold, valley cover, throttle body and new fuel injector o-rings. I also took each injector off and cleaned them with berryman b12 cleaner.

The job took about 5 hours because I cleaned everything.

I was debating on the valley gasket but I'm glad I did it. The felpro looks to be. Much better gasket than what is there from the factory. I also changed out the grommets for the knock sensors on the valley cover

How were your intake bolts and grommets?
Man I really dont want to wait any longer to order in acdelco knock sensors! I dont know what I'm going to do...

Bombsquad85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How were your intake bolts and grommets?
Man I really dont want to wait any longer to order in acdelco knock sensors! I dont know what I'm going to do...

The bolts and grommets were good. I refused them but if you're concerned you could replace them easily.

Again I would order ac delco. You dont want to do this job twice. But it's your time and money

SnowDrifter

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Washington. The desert side not the Starbucks side
I wouldn't go napa for the sensors. I really, really wouldn't.

Don't forget to torque them with a torque wrench

Also: Do your valley pan gasket and lower knock sensor grommets. Might want to pick up a TB gasket.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to do your oil pressure sensor while you're here as well. It's accessible without pulling the intake off, but quite a bit easier to get to without anything in the way

OP
OP
X

XL04

Reaction score
Anyone know if the Delphi knock sensors are good? I know Delphi makes various electronics and sensors for many car manufacturers.

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know about the Delphi sensors. But I was wondering if you have a Bennett Auto Supply around you by chance? They often carry ACDelco products. There is usually an ACDelco warehouse in every town too. As they used to say, "Let your fingers do the walking", and thumb through the yellow pages. LOL

Erickk120

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anyone know if the Delphi knock sensors are good? I know Delphi makes various electronics and sensors for many car manufacturers.
Dephi makes a lot of OE stuff for these trucks, so I would sure hope they are quality stuff, I know the OEM gast pump is theirs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
labans