Intake Cleaning

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by SouthernAZ, Feb 10, 2019.

1. SouthernAZ

SouthernAZ TYF Newbie

Name:
    David
    I know these engines are GDI, I have a 5.3, 2015 Yukon XL. I also have a Kia Optima that is GDI. I had to take off the intake to clean all the crap off the intake valves, it made a noticeable difference in how the car runs. The Kia dealer obviously offers these types of services with chemical cleaners and what not, does GM offer anything similar? I called the dealers in my area, they claim to know nothing. I know these things will need cleaned eventually, I just want to stay on top of it. Has anyone cleaned their intake valves? If so, how?

Thanks!

2. dbbd1

dbbd1 Full Access Member

Name:
    dbbd1
    Maybe start with a catch can and you could minimize how much cleaning you may have to do later.

3. SouthernAZ

SouthernAZ TYF Newbie

Name:
    David
    I'm already more than 50,000 miles in so I need to clean it as well as put in a catch can.

4. Miami-Dade

Miami-Dade Staff Member Super Moderator Supporting Member

Name:
    Gary
    I am turning 54K miles. The dealer wanted to do a induction service at 45K miles but I refused as I figured it was another wallet flushing service. I still get awesome mileage out on the highway.

I have not heard of carbon build up or fuel dilution issues with the Direct Injection 15+K2XX 5.3 or 6.2 Tahoe or Yukon even after talking to numerous car service drivers here in Miami and in NYC. Plus the ones in Miami run constantly in between runs to keep the interior nice cold. The bulk of them are running on plain old 87 regular fuel just like I am. Most of those vehicles have way over 100K miles.