Intake Cleaning

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SouthernAZ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I know these engines are GDI, I have a 5.3, 2015 Yukon XL. I also have a Kia Optima that is GDI. I had to take off the intake to clean all the crap off the intake valves, it made a noticeable difference in how the car runs. The Kia dealer obviously offers these types of services with chemical cleaners and what not, does GM offer anything similar? I called the dealers in my area, they claim to know nothing. I know these things will need cleaned eventually, I just want to stay on top of it. Has anyone cleaned their intake valves? If so, how?

Thanks!

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Maybe start with a catch can and you could minimize how much cleaning you may have to do later.

OP
OP
S

SouthernAZ

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Maybe start with a catch can and you could minimize how much cleaning you may have to do later.
I'm already more than 50,000 miles in so I need to clean it as well as put in a catch can.

Miami-Dade

Staff member
Super Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am turning 54K miles. The dealer wanted to do a induction service at 45K miles but I refused as I figured it was another wallet flushing service. I still get awesome mileage out on the highway.

I have not heard of carbon build up or fuel dilution issues with the Direct Injection 15+K2XX 5.3 or 6.2 Tahoe or Yukon even after talking to numerous car service drivers here in Miami and in NYC. Plus the ones in Miami run constantly in between runs to keep the interior nice cold. The bulk of them are running on plain old 87 regular fuel just like I am. Most of those vehicles have way over 100K miles.

RobDenali

Reaction score
You must top clean GDI engines ! My question is this. What about the DoD system while top cleaning, Has anyone ever thought maybe not all cylinders are getting the cleaner? Most directions say to keep rpms at 2000 while applying then heat soak for a period of time and drive on at highway speed to clean out the cat. How can I be sure all the top of the engine will get cleaned evenly?

RobDenali

Reaction score
I know these engines are GDI, I have a 5.3, 2015 Yukon XL. I also have a Kia Optima that is GDI. I had to take off the intake to clean all the crap off the intake valves, it made a noticeable difference in how the car runs. The Kia dealer obviously offers these types of services with chemical cleaners and what not, does GM offer anything similar? I called the dealers in my area, they claim to know nothing. I know these things will need cleaned eventually, I just want to stay on top of it. Has anyone cleaned their intake valves? If so, how?

Thanks!

unplug the closest vacuum hose to the throttle body and squirt this inside while someone is keeping the rpm's at 2000. https://www.autozone.com/fuel-and-e.../crc-gdi-intake-valve-cleaner-11oz/461563_0_0

Bob2C

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have used CRC cleaner before on my other cars. Going to try Amsoil power foam on my Tahoe before next oil change. I know on the 6 speed if you shift into M5 the vehicle will not go into cylinder deactivation. Not sure about the 8 or 10 speed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm using the CRC "Turbo and Intake Cleaner" every 8-10K miles to deep away the valve deposits. I'll eventually add a catch-can, but am waiting out my warranty period (just in case).

1BADI5

Supporting Member
Reaction score
A catch can will not void your factory warranty

sealandsky

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A catch can will not void your factory warranty
I'm not so sure about that. I have the Callaway 5 year, 60K extended warranty and they are very sensitive about any modifications. The language in the warranty contract is restrictive and tight.