Installing sub with stock Bose system

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

neloms

Reaction score
People have said it's possible to install a subwoofer with the existing Bose system. I also noticed in the rear left console (over the wheel) there is a space to install a sub. How easy is this to do? Is there a wiring harness already in that space? I'm a novice audio guy, so I don't want to take on more than I can chew (ie, running wires from the HU to the back of the truck).

tast101

Supporting Member
Reaction score
People have said it's possible to install a subwoofer with the existing Bose system. I also noticed in the rear left console (over the wheel) there is a space to install a sub. How easy is this to do? Is there a wiring harness already in that space? I'm a novice audio guy, so I don't want to take on more than I can chew (ie, running wires from the HU to the back of the truck).

No harness, i think pre 03 the sub was located there. 03 and up its located under the center console. So if you want to sub there you have to run the wires. If you have a aftermarket unit then get a wiring harness, the run RCAs to your amps, then speaker wire to your sub. It's not that hard really. I did my first install in my monte carlo, because I wanted to learn.

dub02gpgt

dub
Reaction score
i bought a MTX Thunderform from sonicelectronix.com and installed it myself. i bought the one that came with the amp built in so everything would be hidden. in my opinion it helps the stock setup but if you want serious bass i'm guessing you would want to go with a different setup. i think i paid around $370 and it took a couple of hours to install. you need to run a cable to the battery and screw in a ground cable. the speaker wires you run into the stock bose amp which in the 03 and up should be in the center console. There's a ton of screws in that thing. After i did that i attempted to dremel out the grill because i wanted it to look stock. minus a couple of close calls it came out okay. overall my main concerns were extra bass and not losing the ability to take out the third row and fold down the second for a completely empty "trunk". this accomplished my goals.

sdgd711

Full Access Member
Reaction score

It is definitely possible to add a sub. The easiest way to do it is to add a line output converter on the factory sub output from the amp. The wires can be easily acessed by pulling the front cupholders out. The main amp harness is right there when you pull that panel out. The woofer wires are the thicker gauge wires off to the right going up towards the front of the console. Unless your replacing the factory sub with another Bose sub, you will have to run wires, but it's really not that bad. The sub grill in the back quarter panel actually had a sub behind the panel in the 2000-2002, but in the 2003-2006 model years it was moved it to the center console. You could add a sub back there but some modifications will need to be done to the panel to sound right because the grill isn't perforated. If you are trying to keep it very stealth, there is always the JL Audio Stealth Box that replaces the Bose enclosure in the center console. It requires some major modifications to the console to fit properly though and its definitely on the expensive side, something like $600 for the box and sub. Anytime you are adding a sub you will need to run wires from the battery, ignition harness (unless your amp has signal sensing), and signal wires, and a ground. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

byte_man

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Being a total newbie to this stuff (just got a 2003 Yuk), I'd like to learn from your experience..... what is the best path to run the connections from the center console back to the quarter panel ? I'm looking at putting a radio into the dash or console and am considering an antenna run to the quarter panel and then outside the body (maybe use a through window mount, or run out through the vent holes in the black corner panel that everyone seems to dislike). Any lessons learned or best ways to run it ? The more details the better. THANKS

tom q

Full Access Member
Reaction score
from the converter under the cups, I ran the RCA out to the bottom of the console, under the driver's seat and on to the door sill. I run the rest of the wires there too. My amp sits under the 2nd row. I opted for a box with 2 10's. I bought the box from a guy who had it in his tahoe. I could drop the 3rd row and still have the box there :)

I'm 38 and I don't want to compete with the teens. I just want a nice bass boost :)

SFBerto415

Reaction score
I am really interested in doing, what seems to be a simple mod. I would like to have a sub in the back wher the pre-03's use to house the sub. I want to keep my Bose setup, but just want to add a little bit more bass. Like tom q, I am not trying to compete with the younger generation but I do like to feel a little bass in my trunk.
So what will I need exactly? What size speaker, what size amp?
If anyone has done this install and doesn't mind posting a step by step that would really help...

SFBerto415

Reaction score
Does anyone have ANY pics of their install? Help me out folks...a step by step on how to add an amp and a speaker in the rear. I hear talk of hooking up rca's under my cup holders in my console. I lifted my cup holders saw the Bose Amp but I don't see where to hook up rca's...anybody???

SFBerto415

Reaction score
I have the Z2 which behind the unit it has a set of "Subwoofer Preamp Outputs" I also have the peripheral integration adapter installed which retains the Bose Amp...Can I just hook up an external amp that will power my sub to the Z2's "Subwoofer Preamp Outputs"? Or am I just suppose to run an LOC from the Bose Amp?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne