Installing long block... what other parts needed?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Shibbershabber

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having a long block built for my 94 pickup...

Trying to get as much of the related parts together as possible... am I missing anything?

Intake & exhaust gaskets
distributor
water pump
clutch
valve cover gaskets
throttle body gasket
thermostat gasket
oil & coolant
motor mounts
oil cooler lines
serpentine belt

Oil pump and oil pan installed by builder...

Im thinking a gasket for the oil filter adapter... found this, I have a 4x4 with the angled adapter, are the gaskets the same?

anything else needed to make the swap? Recommend anything else to be replaced while the engine is out?

THanks!

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Having a long block built for my 94 pickup...

Trying to get as much of the related parts together as possible... am I missing anything?

Intake & exhaust gaskets
distributor
water pump
clutch
valve cover gaskets
throttle body gasket
thermostat gasket
oil & coolant
motor mounts
oil cooler lines
serpentine belt

Oil pump and oil pan installed by builder...

Im thinking a gasket for the oil filter adapter... found this, I have a 4x4 with the angled adapter, are the gaskets the same?

anything else needed to make the swap? Recommend anything else to be replaced while the engine is out?

THanks!
You list a clutch, how about pilot bearing? I would replace clutch fork and ball stud. Air filter,fuel filte, O2 sensor. Spark Plugs, spark plug wires. Exhaust manifold studs, springs and nuts. Exhaust manifold donut gaskets. Radiator hoses and heater hoses.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
On those intake gaskets, look for the ones with the reinforcement.

Not these…

2596F94A-FB46-45AB-9196-800992F731DF.jpeg

But these…

D4EF357C-8233-4ACB-AD58-C7F92DA3A2F1.png

EGR valve gasket (which is in the above set) and MAP sensor grommet (or whatever it’s called where it goes into the upper intake) comes to mind as well, though neither would keep me up at night since they’re accessible.

Maybe a Delco oil pressure sender since you have it all apart.

Edit: Sorry, I’m having a Homer Simpson Doh! moment. I missed the part where you said it’s a 94 TBI. Disregard all of the above.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
You are addressing the entire cooling system except the radiator, replace it. EGR vale itself and belt tensioner(s) and idler(s).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kentf3