Installing a steering damper

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow awesome insight. thanks a million for pulling that up!

Yeah it is really annoying. Almost like i can. Spin the wheel at high speed. So little resistance.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk
Same issue i have. I can tell you that a steering damper didnt "fix" it and i have a fresh alignment, new inner and outer tie rods,pitman, idler, sway bar bushings and links, upper control arms, adjusted the steering box, adjusted the screw at the steering wheel, tires in good shape, stock ride height and factory tire size on factory wheels.

Last edited:

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 97 has the same deal in it and ever since i bought it i was always fighting this steering surge. mine turned out to be the evo valve was hanging up or something. the shaft started to get some play so i replaced the pump. i bought the ac delco without the evo so i thoroughly cleaned the original now i dont have a problem.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my 97 has the same deal in it and ever since i bought it i was always fighting this steering surge. mine turned out to be the evo valve was hanging up or something. the shaft started to get some play so i replaced the pump. i bought the ac delco without the evo so i thoroughly cleaned the original now i dont have a problem.
I dont get "surging" just way too much assist imo at freeway speeds. My wife doesn't think there's anything really wrong to be fair. (Which is why i haven't done it yet) Its not terrible. I just dont like it.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry let me rephrase my comment. if the condition was met while turning id get one single lurch surge of over assisted steering. i dont see one listed for your truck but the 90s tahoe that have that feature has an alternate ps pump i think. lower pressure and you change one of the lines and remove the system so you have the same level of assist but its not overkill.

TheAutumnWind

Full Access Member
Reaction score
sorry let me rephrase my comment. if the condition was met while turning id get one single lurch surge of over assisted steering. i dont see one listed for your truck but the 90s tahoe that have that feature has an alternate ps pump i think. lower pressure and you change one of the lines and remove the system so you have the same level of assist but its not overkill.

Yeah that sounds frightening. I would be way more proactive about that sort of problem.

The systems did change slightly from obs to nbs apparently. From what I've read a lot of people choose to delete the system. GM even sells delete kits. That's what I'd do ifmy issue was like yours.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
honestly that was part of my intention. ive bern going over the truck swapping out parts that needed attn or basic parts that are typical. i actually ordered the pump without the evo valve hookup and got the one with the evo. i did the water pump and while i had everything apart i was checking the pump and noticed i had excessive shaft play. so i decided to just use the pump i recieved anyway and just went out and got the right hose for that side.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tire size came as an RPO code. (here are my Silverado codes).

PF9 19656 P WHL M WHEEL 16 X 7, ALUMINUM CAST 931221 E T E A
QNF 21210 P TIR M TIRE ALL P235/75R16-106S BW R/PE ST TL ALS 970312 E E E A
XNF 30282 P FTR M TIRE FRONT P235/75R16-106S BW R/PE ST TL ALS 970314 E E E A
YNF 31578 P RTR M TIRE REAR P235/75R16-106S BW R/PE ST TL ALS 970314 E E E A

Merc1973

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Yup, My Grand Marquis had the same problem, I swapped the pump out for a non EVO pump and it was good to go.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne