Installed True Dual Exhaust on my 01 XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Javie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have a terrible memory so ill try to go with the basics so i dont provide poor information. exhaust flow can have an impact on the power curve so if op went dual exhaust as shown it can lower the power one spot but increase the power elsewhere. i cant remember the specifics but it definitely wouldn't be the first time i was asked why someones car feels like it got slower off the line after a diy custom exhaust. usually when someone went too big on pipe diameter for a dual exhaust system for an engine that doesn't have the velocity to do it. op doesn't look like they went overkill and kept with the original pipe size coming off the front so it wouldn't be the case here. so @Javie was probably just asking for reference purposes im assuming. im no exhaust guru so i generally just have an exhaust shop do a system for me or i buy a kit so i know it works with the vehicle fit and function.
Thanks bud and yes i was asking for references. I live in Ca. unfortunately and just got slapped with the good old smog test time center . Was running no cats and just put them back on and i am hating how she sounds now. Feels like i am driving a freaking bus now.

drakon543

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks bud and yes i was asking for references. I live in Ca. unfortunately and just got slapped with the good old smog test time center . Was running no cats and just put them back on and i am hating how she sounds now. Feels like i am driving a freaking bus now.
ya i dont know how the cali stuff works but if its possible magnaflow cats don't hinder the exhaust note nearly as much as oem cats. i live where only a visual is required and the mechanics don't generally care enough to look. i removed the cats on a 94 suburban due to rust and it was just too loud. i put a magnaflow cat back in and it didn't do anything for the sound.

OP
OP
06JET

06JET

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I still haven't got that video but it sounds great. Not loud at all but has a good deep tone. No drone. That is why I always use straight-through mufflers like glass packs plus I'm old school. I've had other mufflers like Flowmaster and had a lot of drone. The drone was deafening on my 06 Mustang GT with Flowmasters. I ended up with Roush Extreme exhaust (straight-through) and no drone at all. No issues with loss of torque that I can tell. It's no Hot Rod that's for sure but it is strong.

BentleyArnage

Reaction score
No X or H. I wanted them separate all the way out. I'll try to get a video later. I still need to fix an exhaust manifold leak from a broken bolt. I have the repair bolt/clamp part but it still leaks at the first start when it is cold then goes away when it warms up.
I found an H pipe works best for Chevrolet. It quiets the nasty sounds and leaves a nice smooth tone. That's not as important in a pickup, but in a Sub where the pipes are under your passenger compartment, it really helps make it sweet.
X pipes are for Dodge and Ford.

OP
OP
06JET

06JET

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 3" body lift so it the pipes actually go over the frame which is over the spare tire.
I love the body lift, it gives me so much more room to work on stuff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlbertoTahoe2011