Infotainment System - Movies from USB

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

James_Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
After a week of troubleshooting I am finally posting this in hopes of some tech guidance! I am trying to play movies from the USB input. I have figured out that MP4 is the only format that works (I think?).

But, when playing with a FLASH DRIVE, About 5 minutes into each movie, the whole system reboots and starts over.

Here's the weird thing. It does NOT do this if I play the movies though an EXTERNAL HARD DRIVE.

1) Can anyone tell me if this is normal, or if this is the system not operating correctly?

2) Is MP4 the only format we can use? I'm wondering if there is another format that might work fine on the flash/thumb drive.

Thanks for any guidance!

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
How is your ext hard drive vs thumb drive formatted?

OP
OP
J

James_Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
USB is FAT32; HDD is NTFS. Interesting - you think that's the issue?

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
USB is FAT32; HDD is NTFS. Interesting - you think that's the issue?

IIRC, I had issues with an older thumb drive that I just threw some music on.

Last edited:

billium39

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I got so happy reading the title of the thread thinking I was going to see an answer to my issue, but no :(. I have a Samsung 128gb usb stick I have media on, not sure what its formatted as, I never changed it, used to use it for my bmw and worked fine for music. When I plug it into the USB port behind the infotainment screen the music will play fine, and I'm able to scroll thru folders and such.

Now my issue is with the movies I'm trying to play from it. I have mp4s in a separate folder, but they won't play if I have the usb plugged into the same port. I switched it to the back port but it will just autoplay the first file. I don't get the issue of the system rebooting like you mentioned James, but I have to just click next to get to the movie I want in the folder which is a pain bc you don't really know what you're watching till it starts playing and you can tell what it is.

Off1c3r

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Anecdotally I've noticed (in previous vehicles) that NTFS caused more issues than FAT32. I'd gamble the reboot had something to do with NTFS and the file size of the media being played.

dbbd1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Anecdotally I've noticed (in previous vehicles) that NTFS caused more issues than FAT32. I'd gamble the reboot had something to do with NTFS and the file size of the media being played.

^ yup...

OP
OP
J

James_Yukon

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I spoke too soon above, the external HD has the same problem. FAT32 v. NTFS doesn't make a difference either.

So after no luck, I took my truck to the dealership, and 20 days later, they couldn't figure it out (as well as the useless HDMI port). Apparently GM is aware of these issues and is working on a software upgrade/fix.

Whatever!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wintermute92

Latest posts