Inexpensive tune?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ifs is a 6.2l i dont think so i think that started on them in 2010. 5.3's way before that. Look at the dic and look for v8 mode which should be with mpg crap if it has it it'll switch from v8 to v4..im not exactly sure, someone may know better

Back N Black

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Nope. I'm just saying you get what you pay for. You can spend $200 on a hand held tuner, that will give you a generic tune and turn off AFM. Or, you spend spend a little bit more money, get a custom tune, that will show exactly what your vehicle's engine is doing and what it needs to make more power. BlackBear will send you equipment, it'll log everything your vehicle is doing, the air/fuel mixture, etc, and in turn, they can custom tune for EXACTLY what you need.

:word:

Blackbear seems to be all the rage. Everyone that I have seen who sprung for the tune, has had absolutely NO regrets. Their tune, on an otherwise stock truck, has apparently made very noticeable improvements. The scan cable tune datalogs YOUR vehicle, so when they get the file, they can specifically adjust it for what works best for your vehicle. It's cheaper than a dyno tune, although that would be the most optimal method of tuning. Ofcourse that also explains why it's the most expensive method.

A handheld tuner won't be much, is any cheaper, and like Nathan said, will give you a generic tune. Basically a tune that can safely be used on every other truck made that year. The Diablo Sport can apparently be used over and over, and also be used if you decide to have your truck dynotuned.

I don't have the same issues that you are trying to adjust, as my Hoe is a 96. I need a tune to adjust for my heads and cam, and unfortunately pre-98 vehicles cannot be dyno tuned, nor is the Blackbear scan cable an option. I'll have to order their standard tune, until I can 0411 PCM swap mine.

How do I find out if my Denali has AFM?

Well, if you have some time on your hands, I would suggest decoding your RPO codes. Perhaps someone with AFM already knows the RPO code with the assistance of google (be advised, this can be a time consuming process, but it's free and tells you every option that you have on the vehicle), and you can take a quick glance to determine if you have it.

Another option, posted in the 91-99 section, for $5 there is a company that will decode your RPO codes for you, and get the results right away.

Well, I gave up and paid the $5.00 for 5 vin decoder package with

http://www.compnine.com/vid.php,

got it right away. I need it to verify the RPO on the vehicle before I bought it.

dirtydenali07

Reaction score
Ifs is a 6.2l i dont think so i think that started on them in 2010. 5.3's way before that. Look at the dic and look for v8 mode which should be with mpg crap if it has it it'll switch from v8 to v4..im not exactly sure, someone may know better
I've gone through every menu on the DIC. no mention of V8 nor DOD/AFM.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts