Inexpensive tune?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

pacem

Reaction score
I hear about Blackbear but it is expensive. Is there an inexpensive tune I can get?

2008 tahoe LT 5.3L

I want to turn off that fuel management 4-cyl stuff and maybe optimize shift points

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Not much cheaper but if you can find a used Diablo sport tuner it will do what you want to do. Just make sure it isn't married to another vehicle.

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hear about Blackbear but it is expensive. Is there an inexpensive tune I can get?

2008 tahoe LT 5.3L

I want to turn off that fuel management 4-cyl stuff and maybe optimize shift points

IMO, you get what you pay for. Replacing a $3,000 to $4,000 motor or transmission because you want to save $100 to tune it is completely not worth it...

ddubdb3

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMO, you get what you pay for. Replacing a $3,000 to $4,000 motor or transmission because you want to save $100 to tune it is completely not worth it...

Are u saying the hand held tuners are no bueno?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't think he is saying that, simply...you get what you pay for. Nothing wrong with handhelds but the more expensive bb is more custom tailored to your truck.... like going to buy a suit from sears or going to a custom tailor... yeah the suit from sears fits but the custom tailored one fits better....and it costs more...

NathanJax

Vacation Nathan
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are u saying the hand held tuners are no bueno?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. I'm just saying you get what you pay for. You can spend $200 on a hand held tuner, that will give you a generic tune and turn off AFM. Or, you spend spend a little bit more money, get a custom tune, that will show exactly what your vehicle's engine is doing and what it needs to make more power. BlackBear will send you equipment, it'll log everything your vehicle is doing, the air/fuel mixture, etc, and in turn, they can custom tune for EXACTLY what you need.

I don't think he is saying that, simply...you get what you pay for. Nothing wrong with handhelds but the more expensive bb is more custom tailored to your truck.... like going to buy a suit from sears or going to a custom tailor... yeah the suit from sears fits but the custom tailored one fits better....and it costs more...

:word:

08HoeCD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wasn't even planning on tuning my truck. But once I realized that a Black Bear Performance tuning meet up was going to be close to where I live I jumped at the chance. Really glad I did, and I have no regrets whatsoever.

dirtydenali07

Reaction score
Like the OP, I too cannot afford a BB tune. I would like to get rid of the lag between pressing the accelerator and the engine actually responding. It's my biggest pet peeve in my 07 Denali XL. I actually use T/H mode around town sometimes, or if I know I'll need to merge with traffic quickly.
I have seen a device that plugs in between the pedal and it's connector, and it even has a switch to change sensitivity, so the accelerator acts more like a linkage than a drive by wire setup. Anyone heard of/use this?

Last edited:

Jaytizzle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like the OP, I too cannot afford a BB tune. I would like to get rid of the lag between pressing the accelerator and the engine actually responding. It's my biggest pet peeve in my 07 Denali XL. I actually use T/H mode around town sometimes, or if I know I'll need to merge with traffic quickly.
I have seen a device that plugs in between the pedal and it's connector, and it even has a switch to change sensitivity, so the accelerator acts more like a linkage than a drive by wire setup. Anyone heard of/use this?

It seems like all you need is the Range AFM disabler.

PG01

Supporting Member
Reaction score
No , never heard of that....
range helped me out with the same problem...
Also, and im being serious, clean your throttle body...it will help too

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jkavros