In desperate search of 04-14 model Yukon Denali XL

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

techswabbie

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I live in NorCal and we currently own an 06 Yukon Denali. It's definitely average wear for 240k miles. Just replaced the tranny with a certified rebuilt. Replaced a list of major engine issues last fall. This truck is pretty much rust free and there isn't anything on it we probably can't replace after market - seats, console buttons, etc.

That all said, we'd like to buy another 04/06 series model but are having a really hard time finding anything. I came here to to the 07/14 crowd because I wanted to get honest feedback on this model series. I've read a lot on Consumer Reports, NADA Guides, KBB and Motor Trend that this next model series had a lot of problems. I'm wondering if that was all a bunch of bogus journalism? I can't seem find any amount of recalls on this model series that were any more significant that the 04/06 model series.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I'd have to convince my wife to step up to the next model. They seem to be a lot easier to find around here.

*We did search across the state, but aren't in a position health wise to go test drive. Tried to work with a few dealerships for a sight-unseen purchase and I think they all believed I was running a scam.

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
if you're going to get an 07-14 one watch out there was an factory error that caused the bolts to be put on loose with units equipped with Active fuel management it effected all the engines 5.3 6.0 and 6.2 with AFM equip except for some 6.2 and 4.8 units that were not equipped

a tune does not save the engine you have to
A. remove the system
B. replace all the parts(as they were subject to abnormal wear and tear due to the error)

Last edited:

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
First time I've heard of the loose bolt thing. I've read of the VLOM bolts being loose after high mileage, but that really just seems to be from the gasket shrinking and hardening from age.

Overall, I believe the GMT800 platform was a little more reliable due to fewer electronics to glitch out and from not having AFM. Other than that, the GMT800 and 900 have very similar bones. I agree with Roger about getting an '08-'09 model.

Geotrash

Dave
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My first Suburban was an '02, and I have both 2007 and 2012 Yukon XL Denali's now. Both are excellent, reliable trucks. The '07 (6.2L L92 engine) doesn't have AFM, but the '12 does (6.2L L94 engine). I use a Range AFM disabler on the '12. So far, no problems with the valvetrain in either truck. The '07 has 208K and the '12 has 115K. Like the others here, the '08/'09 model years are probably the best bet for reliability, but I wouldn't hesitate to buy an '07 or a '12-'14 model if it was well maintained. Any potential trouble-spots are well documented here, and I've had fewer problems with them than I had with my '02, FWIW. My '02 needed a transmission at 130K and an engine at 190K (cracked head). The 6L80E in the '07-'14 trucks is bullet-proof by comparison to the 4L60E in the older rigs.

intheburbs

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an 09 Sierra Denali.

120k miles.

Frankly, it's turned into a bit of a money pit. Already had to replace the front diff (super expensive because of AWD), one front half-shaft, front hubs/bearings, the brakes suck (like all half-tons), and I have corrosion on a few of the wheels causing slow air leaks.

I've probably put $4k in repairs into it in the last three years.

Now, contrast that with my 2008 Suburban 2500, and I have about $300 in repairs into it. Total. In 7 years of ownership. With 200k miles on it. And I tow. A lot. And very heavy.

I specifically bought the Denali because I didn't want an AFM truck. The engine is just about the only thing that hasn't caused a problem.

kylers2k

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 2009 PPV that unfortunately has the 4L60E. Had to replace that (sun shell cracked) but otherwise it has been great. Some suspension issues but that’s just me being picky and wanting a factory ride while lowered.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
what part of norcal?
anyways don't be scared the nnbs are just as good as the nbs, that being said if you are shopping nnbs I would go with a 10-14
and whatever the hell Brent is talking about is nonsense as usual.

Oldewing

Reaction score
Have a 14 Denali XL with 125K and counting.

In the last 2 years, just a fuel pump and power steering pump, save an oil change or 2. Love it, tow's like a dream.

norcalboon

Reaction score
In Norcal, bought a 2012 Denali XL in Jan '19 with 100K miles, have put about 4-5K into it, mostly proactive maintenance since it does tow our TT (tru Cool trans cooler, new radiator, oil/engine cooling lines, new battery, spark plugs, wires, tires, and seemingly solved an electrical gremlin by replacing the steering position sensor). It's my wife's DD and we have 3 kids and a german sheppard that go along when we tow a 6.5K TT. Been great for ~20K miles. I went 2012+ because I understood they changed something in the AFM which resulted in better reliability. No tune or AFM delete. Fun to drive, plenty of power to tow, but I wouldn't tow much more than what we have.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DefiantOne