In a real pickle with fuel pump issues. Advice appreciated!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Fless

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Thats very odd. Using a 2002 schematic there is no oil pressure switch in series with the fuel pump or the fuel pump relay. I havent seen a GM vehicle use that configuration for around 30yrs.

I'd agree. The oil pressure switch can be disconnected but the truck will run.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'd agree. The oil pressure switch can be disconnected but the truck will run.
At one point back in the early 90's IIRC GM had used a oil pressure switch in series with the fuel pump relay coil (IIRC) so if there was not enough oil pressure it would prevent the engine from running by cutting the fuel off. Now the oil pressure unit at the back of the block is actually a oil pressure sensor, not a switch. It reads actual PSI pressure and thats it. It does not have any kind of switch on/off ability nor is rated for any meaningful current.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you spliced in the new connector harness for fuel pump, are you sure the wireing is correct? Most color codes do not match pins on aftermarket connectors.

rockola1971

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When you spliced in the new connector harness for fuel pump, are you sure the wireing is correct? Most color codes do not match pins on aftermarket connectors.
Good point. When you wire up a DC motor (fuel pump) backwards it causes the DC motor to run backwards and the impeller of the pump has fins that face a certain direction to create the pumping action. Just like a water pump works with its impeller. If wired backwards the fuel pump would not create any meaningful pressure.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyCleftNut

Latest posts