IMPORTANT: The Chronicles of Low Oil Pressure by 07burb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jason in DLH

Cheeseburger and Fries
Reaction score
I didn’t read all the comments here, but I had low oil pressure as well. Turned out to be the oil pressure sensor filter as well. I used the long bolt shown below to place the new one in. Helped a lot! It must have been a sight to see me sitting in the engine compartment!

65ADF25D-7FBA-4C0F-B7CE-96C0AF786137.jpeg
83BD56C7-CCC3-46DC-96E8-439C19957566.jpeg

Koop

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I will say thanks to @07Burb for this thread and everyone's contribution. I had this issue occur twice before just taking the initiative and just going about what is needed to be done; removing that damn filter. In my case I literally had to climb into the engine bay... everything else was a cake walk. I didn't use a bolt to retrieve the filter but a 1 buck dental hook pick. I did this in less than 15 minutes. No hoses were needed to be removed or disconnected (07 denali xl 6.2L).

I want to say thanks cause I have literally witnessed shops (cause i felt this was out of my level of 'experience') give me the most outrageous quotes with the SAME resolution, remove and replace the senor but not the filter. After feeling as if I "just changed this sensor" I had a enough and navigated this site and read through this entire thread. Took the weird looks as my neighbors looked at me sitting in my engine bay acting as if I am about to seriously put in work only to come out with something smaller than a AA battery. I can visually see how this is a setup situation. That filter could easily clog by the time you're through 2 or less oil changes and have you in the middle of a trip with a turn engine off alerts unless you rev your engine as if your about to F1 the rest of the way to your destination smh. Anyway thanks 07burb and everyone contribution... now on to the rear main seal or oil pan slow leak.

S1W99

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I had really low oil pressure all of a sudden on my 07. Put 1qt TF in the oil for 20 miles, got an oil change and pressure is fine now for two months still.

harveje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well, I did manage to get the socket on. Took photos with my endoscope. There is a plastic shield on the rear of the intake that kept the socket from being straight up. Once I pulled it a little I could push the socket on. BUT, you guys must be midgets or have lady-sized hands ;) . I can just barely touch the plug to try to remove it, but that's it. I can't touch the sensor enough to try and turn it after I get it loose (which I couldn't even do). I have a piece of plywood across the top of the engine to lay on just to reach the sensor. I even tried getting into the engine compartment (standing on the steering column). No dice. If anyone has a trick I've missed to reach back there please let me know!

View attachment 253917
I think I took a long screwdriver and broke the sensor connector off to get the socket on.... my fat a?? laid across the engine gasping for air and the wife thought I was having an attack...

harveje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
For what it's worth, I had really low oil pressure all of a sudden on my 07. Put 1qt TF in the oil for 20 miles, got an oil change and pressure is fine now for two months still.

Trans fluid has "cleaning" properties, I use it or seafoam

Butch Pink

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
...on the oil pressure issue. A little about my Denali, 2007 that has been brought back to life. 6.2L without AFM and 223k on the clock. The list of parts we have replaced due to age and wear is pretty extensive. The only thing left to do are the heads, new pistons/blockwork, and crank, and then it will be 100% rebuilt. We have been chasing the P0011 for a while and found 5-50 Syn oil settled the motor down quite a bit. All the actuators worked well, and the engine quieted down quite a bit (no surprises there). As a safety measure, we installed Melling's HP/** oil pump, and my oil pressure at idle fully warmed up is 38psi. When cold, it is close to 60psi at idle. When we had the pan out, the bottom had quite a bit of accumulation in it. I am glad we cleaned it up, and all is well. That code was driving me a bit crazy.

I will eventually post a list of all the work we have done to this truck. I have enjoyed every minute of it and expect it will be around a long time.

harveje

Full Access Member
Reaction score
interested in the 5-50, what brought you to that weight?

Butch Pink

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
interested in the 5-50, what brought you to that weight?
The 5-50 is pretty thick at operating temp and helps fill in some of the gaps the worn metal has created in the engine—almost a band-aid of sorts but a necessary one. I went with the HP/** Welling oil pump to reduce the concerns of moving the oil through the motor at all temps. Michigan winters can get pretty cold.

nath

Reaction score
Mark, are you saying Transmission fluid? If so what brand/weight. Or just any old trans fluid work? I believe I would rather do that than a motor flush on my 07.
Nath

kbuskill

***CAUTION*** I do my own stunts!
Reaction score
Mark, are you saying Transmission fluid? If so what brand/weight. Or just any old trans fluid work? I believe I would rather do that than a motor flush on my 07.
Nath

Running a quart of ATF (automatic transmission fluid) in place of one quart of oil is an old trick that has worked well to clean sludge and gunk out of old neglected engines for years.

The ATF has a lot more detergents in it than oil does.

I wouldn't run it this way and beat on it though, just let it run for a while and maybe drive it conservatively for 20-50 miles then change the oil and filter.

You will be surprised at how dark and nasty the oil is when it comes out after this process.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mimi66972