1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

IMPORTANT: The Chronicles of Low Oil Pressure by 07burb

Discussion in 'Engine & Drivetrain' started by 07Burb, Jun 13, 2014.

1. jonnytahoe

jonnytahoe Full Access Member

Name:
    John

2. jonnytahoe

jonnytahoe Full Access Member

Name:
    John
    I have before used just your average filter wrench on the bottom portion of the filter to give it just a bit more rotation without causing any damage to the filter but I try my best to just do it by hand.

07Burb likes this.
  3. Wolfbraid

Wolfbraid Full Access Member

Name:
    Eric
    Exactly, the wrench adapter is ~$4 malwart just having it on the filter without the wrench gives enough grip to tighten properly.

4. pwtr02ss

pwtr02ss Full Access Member

Name:
    Tyler
    Thanks for sticking this @07Burb and all the others who have chimed in over time. Wife started the avalanche yesterday, "no oil pressure, shut engine off". She calls, I ask if its making any noise. She says, no sounds normal. I told her to drive it home (50 miles). I got home last night and pulled the sensor and screen. Screen was blocked up so I replaced that and we're back in business.

Silverback and 07Burb like this.
  5. 07Burb

07Burb GM fan for life Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Name:
    Jacob
    Awesome!! Exactly the reason I posted this and stickied it years ago knowing that SOMEONE would have it happen to them, too, and would save them a LOT of troubleshooting and headaches. Glad it all worked out :)

pwtr02ss likes this.
  6. JimHanus

JimHanus TYF Newbie

Name:
    Jim
    I am in the process of changing the oil pressure sensor and screen. I bought a 1 1/16" sensor socket with the sensor. The socket fits the purchased sensor fine, but won't go on the sensor in the engine. 2013 Tahoe 5.3. I also tried 27mm and it also doesn't fit. 1 1/8" is too big and drops right over it. Anyone else run into this?

7. wjburken

wjburken Supporting Member

Name:
    Wade
    Can you see if there is a bunch of crud built up on the existing sensor? If 1-1/16 1.0625”) wont fit and 27mm (1.0629”) won’t fit and 1-1/8” (1.125”) is too loose, maybe a 28mm (1.102”) will work.

8. JimHanus

JimHanus TYF Newbie

Name:
    Jim
    Well, I did manage to get the socket on. Took photos with my endoscope. There is a plastic shield on the rear of the intake that kept the socket from being straight up. Once I pulled it a little I could push the socket on. BUT, you guys must be midgets or have lady-sized hands ;) . I can just barely touch the plug to try to remove it, but that's it. I can't touch the sensor enough to try and turn it after I get it loose (which I couldn't even do). I have a piece of plywood across the top of the engine to lay on just to reach the sensor. I even tried getting into the engine compartment (standing on the steering column). No dice. If anyone has a trick I've missed to reach back there please let me know!

sensor3.JPG

9. wjburken

wjburken Supporting Member

Name:
    Wade
    Yep! That one’s a PITA to get to. Might need to take the intake manifold off or wrangle a skinny armed kid. I shoved my arm in on mine and I think it took three weeks for the cuts and bruising to go away.

Dcmaynor and JimHanus like this.