IMPORTANT: The Chronicles of Low Oil Pressure by 07burb

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
07Burb

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys don't use AC Delco oil filters ? Never had any issues with them. '00 5.3 292,000 mi. Never had that screen problem ever. Truck was purchased from a friend who was the original owner.
When I had my original problem that started this thread it happened whether I used AC Delco, WIX, K&N or whatever :shrug: so, obviously the issue was not oil filtered related. I cannot speak for others, however.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about doing a engine flush but after removing the oil pan to replace the Oil Tube O-Ring I decided not too. You will Never get all the oil to drain out of your pan just by doing an oil change. The inside of the bottom of the pan is designed in such a way that not all the oil can be drained out.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I thought about doing a engine flush but after removing the oil pan to replace the Oil Tube O-Ring I decided not too. You will Never get all the oil to drain out of your pan just by doing an oil change. The inside of the bottom of the pan is designed in such a way that not all the oil can be drained out.
Even if you put the truck on ramps there is debris that stays in the bottom of the pan and will not just drain out.

CobraKing

Full Access Member
Reaction score

@jonnytahoe They put the drain bolt at the side as opposed to the rear, so on ramps you're absolutely right that there will always be some dirty oil left behind.

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When I had my original problem that started this thread it happened whether I used AC Delco, WIX, K&N or whatever :shrug: so, obviously the issue was not oil filtered related. I cannot speak for others, however.
I was only asking that because you mentioned how you like the K&N filter because of the removal nut on the bottom and you mentioned you can't get it tight by hand without it leaking and most wrenches wont fit because the pan is in the way. I use mechanics gloves and tighten by hand only and have never had one leak.

OP
OP
07Burb

07Burb

GM fan for life
Staff member
Administrator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was only asking that because you mentioned how you like the K&N filter because of the removal nut on the bottom and you mentioned you can't get it tight by hand without it leaking and most wrenches wont fit because the pan is in the way. I use mechanics gloves and tighten by hand only and have never had one leak.
yeah, I've sense moved away from the K&N because they're so much higher to pay just to get a nut. I've found a system to where I can get the proper tightness on the filter now. Still a much bigger pain in the tookus than it needs to be but it is what it is LOL

JonnyTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@jonnytahoe They put the drain bolt at the side as opposed to the rear, so on ramps you're absolutely right that there will always be some dirty oil left behind.
Really. My '00 5.3 has the drain plug in the rear and you still will never get all the oil to drain out because of the factory sump that is below the drain plug and even if you could get all of it out you will never get all the sludge out without removing the pan.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
btheboyscout

Latest posts