I'm Curious- Luggage Racks On Pickups

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok, I was hoping OP would respond like an adult, but If I have to show my hand first:

1. Roof racks are not the same thing as luggage rucks. Roof racks or utility racks are for all sorts of stuff. You can attach skis, bikes, household goods, that wouldn't fit on a luggage rack which is more of the bottom half of the basket from a shopping cart. They are two different things that serve two different purposes. When I see utility racks on a pickup its usually because the owner has something that's too long for the bed, like: a canoe, kayak, ladders, wood, etc... stuff that doesn't FIT in the bed. Utility racks on a tonneau cover, such as the picture, wouldn't add any length if they were on a cover with the back of the cab in the way either way. Luggage will fit just fine.

2. I never said they didn't exist, I understood the OP's question as to why they weren't a factory option. I have seen them on pickups, (LUGGAGE racks), usually on bigger lifted trucks and hunting rigs mounted on top of the cab. I have no clue if that's to keep food off the ground, or animals, etc.. I have certainly never seen enough of them to consider there being a market for the manufacturer to make these, and the ones I do see, I could only guess are universal.

3. Most tonneau covers have the supporting weight of about one male adult or less. Once you add all your luggage you can not walk on it, making loading and unloading it a hassle and unsafe.

(you're creating more wind drag, exposed to the elements, buy a cap, not securable).

So, can we go back to having discussions without egos getting hurt? Trying to talk like were enjoying this together, and not trying to one up.

gat0r

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was referring to roof/luggage/safari rack. the pic on the prior page had rack & cross bars. then one would attach the cage to that. (as they would need it)

T528520?$prodpg640x480$.jpg

id hazard a guess that the peeps who put roof/luggage/safari racks on their roofs dont care much about wind drag.

the last truck i saw was a raptor w/ a luggage/safari rack. it had some LED light bars on front/sides/back. & a large dry bag strapped down in the rack

adriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was referring to roof/luggage/safari rack. the pic on the prior page had rack & cross bars. then one would attach the cage to that. (as they would need it)

T528520?$prodpg640x480$.jpg

id hazard a guess that the peeps who put roof/luggage/safari racks on their roofs dont care much about wind drag.

the last truck i saw was a raptor w/ a luggage/safari rack. it had some LED light bars on front/sides/back. & a large dry bag strapped down in the rack

Safari rack, yeah thats the other name I know em by. Yeah, I don't really know what most people use them for on pickups but I only see them on lifted off roaders, and hunting rigs. I'm thinking highway speeds/fuel mileage/ wind resistance aren't their priority.

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've seen a few crew cab trucks in my area with factory roof racks. I'm an odd one, but I think they have a certain cool factor on slammed/'bagged trucks. As far as functionality, I could see the point if it were on a 2500 or 3500 with a fifth wheel in the bed. If you were on a trip and pulling a gooseneck utility or horse trailer and had a cab full of occupants, you could strap the luggage to the roof. Other than that, maybe your 'bagged truck has an exposed rear frame/notch/link/bridge setup so you can't haul your and your friend's luggage to the car show- on the roof it goes.

20130623_125323_zpsc61f32a9.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Steve Anthony

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
I had them on my '07 Silverado Max. Great for mounting antennas to. We also put a cargo box (thule) up there on long family road trips.

Sdog4127

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Yes, as already stated: Roof Rack/Utility Rack with crossbars was a factory LPO option on the GMT900 trucks, or available through GM Accessories. Not sure if there is availability for the K2X or T2 trucks, but they were built by a third party for GM anyway, so should be avail in the aftermarket as an OE style fit.

I remember seeing these in the factory brochure way back in 2007 when I bought a crew cab. Thought they looked stupid in the picture. However 12 years later I have seen a couple CC 900’s driving around with racks and rails and it honestly looked kind of good

But I’m getting older now, and utilitarian things have more appeal than they used to!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mountie

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Every time I see this photo... I miss my great old '88 truck I sold to a guy in Germany last year.
392,000 miles......
I had a roof rack on my truck since 1990!!
I needed a rack to haul a long ladder. I got a "latch-on" roof rack system, dis guarded all the strap parts, & used SS bolts to "through-bolt" the triangle mounts to my shell, and the extruded aluminum bars are curved to follow the shape of my roof. VERY tough / strong. Low enough to still drive into a parking garage. Easily held a 40' ladder.

Truck in CDM.jpg

iamdub

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Saw this today. I'm not a fan of the '03-'07.5 Silverado front end, but I can tolerate it when looking down on it. The roof rack didn't look out of place with the black roof.

IMG_3526.JPG