2005 Tahoe Daily [Update 06/25/20 - leveled?]

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Galandorian

Galandorian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
so since I put in the new 10aH Lithium and disconnected my front battery, every day before work I would have to jump the vehicle, and then I could drive to work seeing 14.5V constant, and I could start the vehicle after work no issue

but on the way home from work, I'd see a max charging voltage of 13V no matter what, and I could never start the truck again once I turned it off

did some research, and it looks like in 2005 Chevy implemented an EPM system that has variable voltage to "increase gas mileage" lmao

evidently having your headlights on, or being in tow haul mode keeps the voltage charging where it should be

so that explains that in the morning, when I had headlights on, I had good voltage

I'm getting a dual alternator setup next week so I can avoid this entirely, but it's good to know, and for the weekend I'll be driving around with my headlights on no matter what

OP
OP
Galandorian

Galandorian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
after waiting what felt like forever, I finally got my alt bracket and alternator in

BlueGhost (eBay) $200 dual alt bracket
Brand X (Jonathan Patrick) 270a alternator

I had the Spectre 9900 CAI lying around brand new in the box from another vehicle, so I threw it in there thinking it would make running the belt and everything easier.

turns out that in these vehicles with the electric fans, it really isn't that big of a difference, but hey, at least it looks cool I guess

Last edited:

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
after waiting what felt like forever, I finally got my alt bracket and alternator in

BlueGhost (eBay) $200 dual alt bracket
Brand X (Jonathan Patrick) 270a alternator

View attachment 231297
View attachment 231298

a little before pic:

View attachment 231296

and after:

View attachment 231299

I had the Spectre 9900 CAI lying around brand new in the box from another vehicle, so I threw it in there thinking it would make running the belt and everything easier.

turns out that in these vehicles with the electric fans, it really isn't that big of a difference, but hey, at least it looks cool I guess
Wow, very nice. So you’re capable of what.. 420 amps...?? [emoji15]

OP
OP
Galandorian

Galandorian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, very nice. So you’re capable of what.. 420 amps...?? [emoji15]

they're separate systems, so the stock alt is just running the car, and the 2nd alt is just running the sound system

should be a little over 300a when hot and at full load, and like 230ish idle I believe

Sam Harris

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok gotcha. Plenty of power anyway!.. I think... that’s a lot of sound waves. [emoji16][emoji106][emoji631]

OP
OP
Galandorian

Galandorian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
was driving to work today and only charging at 13.5V... again! I was like WTF man! about ready to throw my system out the window

came home and got to thinking, the dual alternator bracket is painted, and probably wasn't grounding properly

sure enough

14.5V grounded to the outer alt

15.5v grounded to the inner alt

so just needed to add a handy little 2/0 ground run

and taaadaahhhh

Last edited:
OP
OP
Galandorian

Galandorian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
in case anyone is wondering how I'm charging higher than the normal 14.4v - 14.8v that our alternators are generally regulated for, I added a Chanzon 1N4004 Rectified Diode to my alternator

I should've taken some pictures, but was just trying to get it playing and forgot to do so :(

here's a short style explanation and some pics from Hunter Martin

order yourself some diodes:

and then on these alternators you want the diode in line with the S plug

add the diode in line as seen:

grey line towards the alternator plug

shrink wrap it, add a zip tie for rigidity, etc, and you're ready to roll

capture__11657.1410926449.1280.1280.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Galandorian

Galandorian

Full Access Member
Reaction score
first my cheap ebay housing started having issues

then my cheap ebay hatch handle broke

ended up purchasing parts to build new retrofits for the lights, and should hopefully have ebay sending me a new hatch handle to put on

Last edited:

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
first my cheap ebay housing started having issues

View attachment 231712

then my cheap ebay hatch handle broke

View attachment 231713

ended up purchasing parts to build new retrofits for the lights, and should hopefully have ebay sending me a new hatch handle to put on
Have to, have to run a thin bead of silicone on any aftermarket lights. Stops any water from getting in.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Icyagent