Illegal Roll Pans?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Grocery Getter

A guy with a truck.
Reaction score
I picked up a Grant Kustoms roll pan last week and the guys at Grant were adimant about letting me know it is not legal to put a roll pan on an SUV. Anyone ever heard of this?

JKmotorsports

Rollin the boosted grocery-getter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would guess that it would depend on your local state laws. I don't believe they're illegal here in Tx, being as I passed inspection and have had local and state police behind me plenty of times. You might want to check your local Dept of Transportation website and see if you can find anything.

OP
OP
Grocery Getter

Grocery Getter

A guy with a truck.
Reaction score
Eh, not too worried about it. I see plenty of them around but I just thought it was odd. It even comes with a sticker that says for show only. How would anyone notice unless they were really looking with the new body style cars/trucks having covered smooth looking bumpers anyway..... Certainly not going to stop me from installing it.......

05Yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never heard that before but I guess it make sense because there is no bumper to absorb any impact.

Timmy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have never heard that before but I guess it make sense because there is no bumper to absorb any impact.

then it should be illegal for trucks, too. heck! i think half the stuff that is done to trucks and suvs are illegal.

OP
OP
Grocery Getter

Grocery Getter

A guy with a truck.
Reaction score
The truck bed is considered a "bumper" since it separates the impact from the cab...... So I'm told.

Max

Mile High
Reaction score
this is why I didn't get a pan for mine, too many stupid drivers here. I wouldn't think it'd be illegal though.

Volant1

Volant guy
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In CA I got a ticket when I had my astro, You cannot have any passanger within six feet of the rear without a rear bumper and a roll pan does not count

SSmurdered

i know u see me
Reaction score
yeah i know im PA it is illegal. i got a couple braces on the back side of my pan but nowhere near the classification of a BUMPER. and had to cut the frame rails about 4 inches and im sure in PA thats illegal too. F'n PA laws, so gay. "anything that didnt come on the car when it was made, is illegal", i couldnt tell you how many times the poepoe told me that.

road1will

pretty pretty good
Reaction score
Ive always heard roll pans are illegal on anything but a pick up.

A friend of mine got ticketed for his rear bumper delete on his ford GT here in georgia.