Ignition System Destroyed

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Ben Gatewood

Ben Gatewood

Reaction score
The dude couldn’t steal it cuz the battery was dead. But he did manage to steal my ashtray full of pennies. Imagining the whole scene is a comedy.

Lately I’ve been hearing about how desirable 2 door Tahoes are...they’re not getting mine.

I like the idea of installing a toggle switch that’ll disable the starter or maybe the fuel pump

View attachment 254986

BG1988

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The dude couldn’t steal it cuz the battery was dead. But he did manage to steal my ashtray full of pennies. Imagining the whole scene is a comedy.

Lately I’ve been hearing about how desirable 2 door Tahoes are...they’re not getting mine.

I like the idea of installing a toggle switch that’ll disable the starter or maybe the fuel pump

View attachment 254986
probably a crack head

swathdiver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wheel locks don't work they can be defeated quickly.. with a socket or welding a nut to it. the best way is to use 150 ft lb torque to the lugs... I did that on my old impala even the AAA guy need a 15ft breaker bar and two people to get the tire off.. took us about 10min to get the 5 lugs off..

Most stock wheels torque to 140 foot pounds. I use Gorilla Wheel locks; EVERY lug nut is a locking lug that needs a special socket to remove them. Yes, they can be defeated by dedicated thug but he would have to be specifically prepared and it would take longer than moving on to easier prey.

We've since installed the GM Accessory Tilt and Shock sensors that work perfectly. Truck won't be leaving the driveway without my permission.

Mechanic421

06 Denali XL
Reaction score
So I was always worried my truck would get stolen. I I interrupted the fuel pump power above the fuel tank and I use that to trigger a summer fuel pump relay. On the ground side of the fuel pump relay I put a remote control relay to trigger it on a key fob. I always carry the truck key on one ring by itself and the key fob in my pocket. The key fob will shut the truck down about a football field away. Not to mention that the summit relay will supply the fuel pump with battery voltage.

45673A91-8A34-48B2-9D69-43793EE0DFD5.png

Tonyrodz

Resident Resident
Reaction score
A guy told me he had some kind of kill switch wired into his seat. To start it you had to stand outside of the vehicle and turn the key. If you tried starting it while sitting in it, it would just crank til the battery died. Inconvenient, but a unique idea.

OP
OP
Ben Gatewood

Ben Gatewood

Reaction score
So I was always worried my truck would get stolen. I I interrupted the fuel pump power above the fuel tank and I use that to trigger a summer fuel pump relay. On the ground side of the fuel pump relay I put a remote control relay to trigger it on a key fob. I always carry the truck key on one ring by itself and the key fob in my pocket. The key fob will shut the truck down about a football field away. Not to mention that the summit relay will supply the fuel pump with battery voltage.

View attachment 255003
This is the approach I have but completely out of my wheelhouse. I’ll have to do some research.

I feel like when I fix the ignition I’m inviting someone to steal it again. I need a fail safe kill switch.

Danny3737

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Decades ago when I was a mechanic, we used to spray the lock lug with freon and smack them with a hammer and they would break in to a few pieces

wheel locks don't work they can be defeated quickly.. with a socket or welding a nut to it. the best way is to use 150 ft lb torque to the lugs... I did that on my old impala even the AAA guy need a 15ft breaker bar and two people to get the tire off.. took us about 10min to get the 5 lugs off..

even putting some U locks (Kryptonite brand) (preferably the NY edition) on the rims will block them out... ignition relays and stuff like that (most likely will not be carrying such) to disable the suv

don't feel too bad i had a cat burglar in my SUV that entered from the Sunroof:grumpycat:
the cat did not take anything but left it's paw prints behind
I'm just wondering how it knew i left it open... since there was only two sets of paw prints
one coming and one going
i just glad it did not use it as a litter box..

Mechanic421

06 Denali XL
Reaction score
This is the approach I have but completely out of my wheelhouse. I’ll have to do some research.

I feel like when I fix the ignition I’m inviting someone to steal it again. I need a fail safe kill switch.

not as hard as you think. A relay supplies battery voltage.Most relays have 4 terminals 30 goes to battery voltage 87 is your load (to fuel pump) 86is tigger voltage and 85 is ground.so you would cut the pump wire at tank (I lowered mine down and cut it pretty close to the pump)hook it to 86 and 85 will hook to the remote relay. Then 87 hooks to pump and 30 goes to battery. The remote relay has a power and ground terminals then you jump the ground to one terminal and the fuel pump wire to the other. And the relay has 2 channels so you can use channel 2 for lights or anything you want to control by remote. The hardest part for me was programming the remote relay.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
About twenty years ago, there was a company called Jimmy Jammer that made a metal plate that would prevent someone from using a screwdriver (shoved under the door handle) to unlock the door. There’s probably something like that still around.

Edit: they’re still around, here’s the link

https://jimmijammer.com/JJ description, 011000.htm

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518