Ignition "Run D" Position Chime

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jblyden20

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
What's going on everyone? I've recently had an issue with my Tahoe not starting. It seems to be connected to the ignition "Run D" position chime. When the the ignition is in the "Run D" position before starting, there is an audible chime and the truck starts. But, when there isn't a chime, the truck won't start. The engine is trying to turn over, but it won't start. Has anyone had this issue? Does anyone know what the audible chime signifies? Thanks for all of the help.

Mean_Green

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I dunno, but ... Bump.

Older rigs aren't getting many replies.

Maybe the wrong forum section too? Engine maybe?

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does it crank or is everything just as dead as though the key were not in at all?

The chime is just a reminder that your key is in the ignition (also seatbelt and headlights). That it doesn’t chime or start when the key is in (and in ‘run’) may be pointing to an ignition cylinder issue. It doesn’t think that there is a key in it. There is no chip in the key, it’s strictly mechanical.

The key-in warning buzzer switch closes when the key is inserted. With the door open, this grounds the circuit and sounds the alarm.

If nothing powers on when you try to start it and your key is worn, I’d be tempted to try a new one cut by the dealer. Failing that, probably replace the ignition switch.

If it cranks, runs for a second and dies then that sounds more like a Passlock issue…look for the blinking Security light to be staying on.

IMG_5110.jpeg

Last edited:

Eman85

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a few of these vehicles and worked on countless numbers of them at the dealer and my private shop. I have never had one chime on start. That is not a normal operation so I have no clue. Is there any non factory systems on this truck, alarm, remote starter. or radio?