Ignition Lock wearing out?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
Howdy!

For the last few weeks it has become increasingly hard to get the key to turn. I have to jerk the steering wheel back and forth repetitively to get it to release and turn the key.

My question is, which component can I or should I replace?

Thanks!

Supertester

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Saltspring Island,Salish Sea, British Columbia
Simply take your VIN to a dealer and have them cut a new key to GM specs. The key itself wears over time, so it doesn't hit all the right thangs anymore. Mine showed up when trying to turn the key back into the accessory position, it just wouldn't go anymore.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If that doesn't do it, replace the lock cylinder. It will come with a new key but if you take it to a locksmith along with the old hardware they can re-key it to your old one. Mine wasn't going into the acc position and after somebody jimmied my cylinder I replaced it and re-keyed it to my old setup and the acc position works now with the old key.

Doubeleive

Wes
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if you buy a new ignition cylinder, don't buy a borg warner they cant be rekeyed, and be sure to have it rekeyed before installing these keys are chipped if it has a (+) symbol near the base on the metal part it is.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SteveandKish