Ignition Key Programming Issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Notacop

Reaction score
As I'm sure most have dealt with, my PPV came with drilled door locks. I ordered a kit on ebay to replace both the door lock and ignition lock, this way I could have matching keys. Install for both wasn't too bad (*FYI* make sure you get the door lock clip when ordering new door locks, it attaches the lock to the rod. I had to buy one from Autozone and modify it to fit)

Unfortunately, I was not able to get the ignition switch to work with the vehicle. I disconnected the battery during install, then went through the reprogramming steps (turn the key to "ON" for 10 mins, repeat 3x). The "Service Theft Deterrent System" warning did not turn off, nor did the dash light, even well after 10 mins.

I tried this multiple times (about 10) but was not able to get the theft deterrent system to turn off, or get the truck to start (power turned on, radio etc). I had to re-install the original ignition switch, I was afraid I would drain the battery too much. The vehicle starts and drives now, the "Service Theft Deterrent" message is still present.

Anyone else have this issue? How can I get the new ignition switch to work so I can have just one key for the door and ignition?

On a positive note I was able to install my center console!!

20210417_150416.jpg

OP
OP
Notacop

Notacop

Reaction score

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The chip key is programmed to two boxes, so when trying to get the vehicle to add a key, It wants to see an original programmed key. Fords are horrible for rejecting the chip key. GM way better. That said, maybe it will go if you use new ign sw and a Dummy key(cut to new Ign), keeping old chip key very close until it asks for new chip key inserted. I have not done it on these later model GMs, Vxiag works good on earlier models for me.

OP
OP
Notacop

Notacop

Reaction score
The chip key is programmed to two boxes, so when trying to get the vehicle to add a key, It wants to see an original programmed key. Fords are horrible for rejecting the chip key. GM way better. That said, maybe it will go if you use new ign sw and a Dummy key(cut to new Ign), keeping old chip key very close until it asks for new chip key inserted. I have not done it on these later model GMs, Vxiag works good on earlier models for me.

I ended up calling a locksmith. I still have not made the switch though. He quoted $150 to program 2 keys and 2 remotes, so I am waiting on remotes in the mail.

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would shop around for another locksmith. I got my two done for $15. And they work like a charm.

OP
OP
Notacop

Notacop

Reaction score
I would shop around for another locksmith. I got my two done for $15. And they work like a charm.

$15 for keys and remotes? This is $130 to program ignition keys and $20 for the remotes.

exp500

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Like I said above, buying the tool is cheaper and you will use it! Just a decision on where to spend the money.

bill1013

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Will's Lock & Key at 1917 Republican Street, Honolulu, Hawaii 96819 if you're in the area and need his service. Nice guy and does a fantastic job at a fair price. BTW, he just programmed the remotes. Aloha!

OP
OP
Notacop

Notacop

Reaction score
Will's Lock & Key at 1917 Republican Street, Honolulu, Hawaii 96819 if you're in the area and need his service. Nice guy and does a fantastic job at a fair price. BTW, he just programmed the remotes. Aloha!

As much as I wish that was nearby, I am in Texas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
firedog9518

Latest posts