Identify a box? [Noisy air ride suspension compressor]

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SpyShops212

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The pump runs for a little while now & then--often when you start the truck after sitting for a while. It runs for a lot more than a few seconds, but it's certainly not constant. It turns off eventually. When it runs, it's very loud. As I mentioned above just now, if you're standing by the left rear wheel, the pump noise overpowers the exhaust noise. Should it be that loud? I don't ever remember hearing it prior to this Spring.
It may be normal and you noticed now. The exhaust is not loud on the 5.3 or 6.2 like the previous gen. They made the trucks quieter sometime in 2011 to cater to everyone. Not everyone loves the beautiful notes the Escalade & Tahoe make.

RST Dana

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not worried about the noise. I'm worried about mechanical problems. Is it better to have it not running at all than to have it running when it's noisy?
If you have a bad shock, it will run more than normal and might result in your compressor going belly up as well. Pull the fuse and drive on until you have time to replace the bad shock or shocks. The compressor air is not helping now anyways.

rcorwin

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
Our 2016 Tahoe has a box of some sort attached to the frame inboard of the left rear wheel. It looks like it has some small hoses connecting it with the fuel filler. Occasionally--often when we first start the truck--that box makes a loud, rough, whirring noise. I wouldn't quite call it "grinding." It's been doing this for a while, but since it's hard to hear from inside the cabin, I tend to forget about it unless I'm hooking up a trailer.

We're leaving on a long road trip in a few days, and just started wondering whether this noise might indicate an imminent failure that could ruin our trip. Can anybody tell me what that device is and/or why it's making that noise? Is it part of the fuel system or emissions system?
I replaced my system with one from Arnott Industries, Merritt Island FL.

I have 2007 GMC Yukon XL Denali.

Mine failed on a 3000 mile trip. I was loaded with 4 people and luggage. Rear sagged a little. However , I hit a bad chuckhole and broke a spring. Limped it home, about 600 miles.

Put 2 new springs under it and new air shocks and air pump.

Once you purchase from Arnott, they are guaranteed for life! My Yukon has 285,000 miles on it. They have stood behind the warranty and replaced everything! First purchase was at 110,000 miles, replaced at 230,000.

Great to work with!

Here is their contact information -

Arnott Industries Customer Service
TEL:(321) 868-3016

Good luck,

Bob Corwin

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Banjomatic