Ideas?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jakcol997

Reaction score
I was under my car this afternoon and noticed a significant amount of oil and gunk build up underneath my engine. The picture isn’t the BEST, but does anyone have any ideas what it could be?

053B705D-7CC6-4A7B-BB04-0662CBF42C4C.jpeg

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Looks like an oil and/or coolant leaking. Check the bottom of the water pump at the weep hole. But I believe that is oil leaking there. Check oil level. That leak is very wet so it looks like it is slinging the oil when it hits the harmonic balancer. That could be the front timing cover seal or the front of oil pan or leaking from higher up and draining down. I would get in there and wipe as much dry as you can and then idle the engine and get in there with a light and see if you can see where it is dripping out of.

Could also be oil leak from oil cooler lines or trans fluid if coming from those lines.

OP
OP
jakcol997

jakcol997

Reaction score
Looks like an oil and/or coolant leaking. Check the bottom of the water pump at the weep hole. But I believe that is oil leaking there. Check oil level. That leak is very wet so it looks like it is slinging the oil when it hits the harmonic balancer. That could be the front timing cover seal or the front of oil pan or leaking from higher up and draining down. I would get in there and wipe as much dry as you can and then idle the engine and get in there with a light and see if you can see where it is dripping out of.

Could also be oil leak from oil cooler lines or trans fluid if coming from those lines.
I hope it isn’t the water pump I just replaced that in September! I’ll have to give that a look! New to fixing up my car and looking for problems. Lol

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ron505