I want to make my 09 Tahoe more off-road trail ready

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
Here are some photos of my front end. As noted above Rancho 4 inch lift with custom built King struts. The strut is much longer than stock with longer travel too. I don't remember the spring rate but, it was chosen to match my vehicle weight in the front.

The Rancho lift changes were, control arm brackets, diff lowering brackets, steering knuckle, sway-bar relocation brackets, drive spacers, steering ends and stainless brake lines it originally came with a Rancho strut.

20210226_213327.jpg

20210226_213255.jpg

20210225_163650.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A link to the Baja kit is in my post and page 2... lol

Sorry. There are many pieces to this puzzle, and only a few I am starting to put together. I am so new to this, but I am trying to learn.

I am still trying to understand coil-overs like the baja kit. This kit will also give more clearance in height like the Rancho or BDS suspension lift?

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here are some photos of my front end. As noted above Rancho 4 inch lift with custom built King struts. The strut is much longer than stock with longer travel too. I don't remember the spring rate but, it was chosen to match my vehicle weight in the front.

The Rancho lift changes were, control arm brackets, diff lowering brackets, steering knuckle, sway-bar relocation brackets, drive spacers, steering ends and stainless brake lines it originally came with a Rancho strut.

View attachment 272013

View attachment 272014

View attachment 272016

Thanks, for the pics!!

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
Sorry. There are many pieces to this puzzle, and only a few I am starting to put together. I am so new to this, but I am trying to learn.

I am still trying to understand coil-overs like the baja kit. This kit will also give more clearance in height like the Rancho or BDS suspension lift?

The coil over is basically a strut or in simple terms a shock with a spring attached

The Baja kit is an upper control arm and with a King shock it will increase your travel and you can also adjust the spring so it will raise the front end up to 3 inches.

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The coil over is basically a strut or in simple terms a shock with a spring attached

The Baja kit is an upper control arm and with a King shock it will increase your travel and you can also adjust the spring so it will raise the front end up to 3 inches.

Thanks!

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for your inputs!

The coil-over idea does seem like a very nice set-up, but it is also costly. If my Tahoe was dedicated to heavy off-road all the time, then investing in coil-overs would make more sense. I think I will take it a step down until I know more about what the Tahoe can not do for my needs.

I do want to change the shocks and springs, at least. My Tahoe has 140K miles on it on the original shocks for the ZW7 Premium Ride suspension. Although I do not see many indications these shocks are bad (excessive roll and bounce), that is a lot of miles on them, and putting on more trail use will likely push them over. Plus, I am fairly certain this suspension was engineered for mostly highway use while towing a heavy trailer. Since I am going to replace the shocks, I might put fresh springs in, too. I decided not to go with the direct replacement of the springs but get a set for the Z71 package.

I did find a new set of reasonably inexpensive Moog equivalents for the Z71 springs that I purchased. I got a set of 81244 for the front and 81609 for the rear. From my research, I read this set is equivalent to the Z71 springs, and the 81609 is the one to use when replacing the Nivomat shocks of the ZW7 to standard. I could be wrong, so please shout out if anyone thinks I am going in the wrong direction. I know these springs are heavier duty and will likely give a more firm ride, and I think they may also give a bit more lift. I got these through Amazon, so I can easily return them if I am wrong.

Since I will have the Tahoe apart to do the shocks and springs, I might as well go ahead and replace the stock UCA and ball joint. I am not comfortable putting additional stress on the stock UCA/ball-joint, and from what I read, the OEM ball-joints are a bit on the weak side. The Bajakits UCA replacement is very nice, but it's on the expensive side. What are some alternative UCAs that everyone can suggest that will have similar qualities to the Bjakits? I don't think I need a UCA with the bolt-on replaceable ball-joint (Kryptonite, JBAOffroad...), but something not as expensive as Bajakits. I am not totally ruling out Bajakits, but I want to have some other options.

I decided that I eventually would like to put a 4" lift on the Tahoe, too (further down the trail). I like the BDS lift kit and will likely get the 4" kit that does not have the coil-overs. The kit without the coil-over has Fox shocks for the rears and uses the stock springs. They offer a strut with this set, but they are not Fox from what I can tell in their catalog. Further research on the Fox Web site shows they don't offer any struts (just shocks and CO). I also read that Fox shocks are fairly firm and designed for constant off-road use at moderate speeds. Honestly, I don't think I need a shock like that for my ride and for what I will be using: road and trail use. So, I am pursuing a different set of shocks as an alternative for the Fox that BDS has in this kit.

Right now, I am seriously considering the Bilstein 5100s. These shocks should work with the leveling kit I have on the Tahoe now and work with the new springs. The part I am unsure about is if these shocks will not work for when I do the 4" lift. I do know the shocks are ride height adjustable, but that is only for 0" to about 2" inch. I suppose I could use the spacers from the leveling kit if it seems the shocks will be too short for the 4" lift. Still, I really would not like to do that ( I could be wrong, but that seems like not the right thing to do). I would hate to invest in this set of shocks only to learn that they will not work when I eventually do the 4" lift. Can anyone say if the Bilstein 5100 will not work with a 4" lift?

Dustin Jackson

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@gmartin1215 Those springs look good, they are the same that I am using. 81244 in front and 81069 in the back.

The Rough Country Forged Upper control arms are a really nice for the price, they cost just a little bit more than a good set of oem replacements.

The bilstein 5100s are great but if you get a 4 inch lift just use the shocks that are included in the lift.

You can find my exact setup in my profile signature.

Tozan

Overlander
Reaction score
I think you have a misunderstanding of coil overs. Your Tahoe already has them... That is your only option... Some of the better coil overs will come with springs and some can lift it too.

Going with a heavier spring will certainly ride rougher unless you have a heavier load. A heavier spring will also make a standard shock not work as well because the spring will not fit the dampening profile of a softer spring. If you want to lift it just a little bit just stick a spacer in there.

Keep in mind swapping out rear springs is easy just jack it up. Swapping a set of front springs or if you get new struts without new springs already installed it is best to have a shop do it. The front springs are very dangerous if you do not have the tools and experience to do them.

I am pretty sure the Bilsteins will not work later on for the 4 inch lift. Any 4 inch lift worth getting will most likely come with the shocks and struts that will work for it.

My advice is to do very little if you are planning to do a lot more later otherwise it will just be good money into bad.

OP
OP
gmartin1215

gmartin1215

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think you have a misunderstanding of coil overs. Your Tahoe already has them... That is your only option... Some of the better coil overs will come with springs and some can lift it too.

Going with a heavier spring will certainly ride rougher unless you have a heavier load. A heavier spring will also make a standard shock not work as well because the spring will not fit the dampening profile of a softer spring. If you want to lift it just a little bit just stick a spacer in there.

Keep in mind swapping out rear springs is easy just jack it up. Swapping a set of front springs or if you get new struts without new springs already installed it is best to have a shop do it. The front springs are very dangerous if you do not have the tools and experience to do them.

I am pretty sure the Bilsteins will not work later on for the 4 inch lift. Any 4 inch lift worth getting will most likely come with the shocks and struts that will work for it.

My advice is to do very little if you are planning to do a lot more later otherwise it will just be good money into bad.

Good advice!
Yeah, I was getting myself confused with the terminology. I was calling what I have now a strut, and thinking coil-overs were something entirely different. Learning as I go.

The Moog springs I picked up are similar to the springs I have on the Tahoe, now. I called Moog tech support and verified they are the same as the GM versions.
However, I may return the front springs and save up to go for King or Fox coil-overs. I am still trying to decide on the BDS 4" lift if I want the version that is coil-over, or the one that is a strut. The coil-over version is like a thousand dollars more, though! I have a question out to BDS on what the ride quality difference is between these two kit versions, and whatever the answer will help me decide which way to go. I am betting they will say the coil-over version will give the better ride.

As for the shocks, I have decided to hold off on those. The existing shocks/struts I have now have a lot of miles and are showing signs they need to be replaced, but they are still mostly working. I am not going to spend the money to put new shocks on now until I decide on the lift I want to do. I rather get the shocks that are tuned for the lift I will put on later. However, I have seen lift kits where they use spacers with your existing OEM suspension. Those may be OK kits, but honestly, I think adding spacers on struts is the cheaper less quality way to go about a suspension upgrade (I could be wrong), so I will focus on kits that do not use those. If I am going to do it, I might as well do it right the first time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kylesimmons