I think the dealership destroyed my engine

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crispy816

TYF Newbie
Reaction score
My 2022 Yukon Denali went into the dealership on Thursday for its first oil change and recall repairs. It was done All in the same day.
On the way home my husband was on the freeway and the car completely shut off, a warning popped up on the screen saying the car could not be in drive, and the car just coasted. It would not turn back on. My husband luckily made it safely to the side of the freeway where he called the dealership to ask what the heck did they do the car. It’s a brand new car that worked perfectly until they touched it. They said it wouldn’t be anything that they did. It got towed back to the dealership. Long story short…
They called us the next morning and said the engine seized and it needs a whole new engine.
What does this sound like happened to you guys? Also what would you do?
We are already speaking to GMC about the buyback program
It seems crazy that they wouldn't put oil back in it but I guess you never know. When I do oil changes on my vehicles I feel like I check the dipstick about 14 times before I'm satisfied to call the job done. I always assume the oil change guy at the dealership is the low man on the totem pole, the newbie, the lowest paid tech so that's who you've got "working" on your vehicle. And in todays working world, that guy probably sucks but they can't find anybody else.
The dealership didn’t forget to put oil in it. Gm is having a problem with the 6.2 eating themselves. I work for a chevy/ caddy dealer- currently have 2 new escalades with under 10k mi here for new engines. Oh yeah, they’re on backorder too from GM.

okfoz

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My sister took her Diesel to an oil change place and they drained the oil, replaced the filter and then filled the oil and apparently the tech forgot to replace the drain plug so the oil drained right through it. She started it with no oil, Needless to say it was a huge and expensive oops for the oil change place.

OR VietVet

Multnomah Falls
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I know I have said here, what I told a customer in my shop one day when he was giving me a small amount of grief for the oil change price. He said that "Oil changes are easy".

I told him, "You are correct, if they are done right". The jest was that an oil change is a nightmare if it is done wrong. Let's face it, the oil is the blood of the engine and the oil filter is the kidneys/liver of the engine. Kind of important IMO. Cannot, I repeat, Cannot cheap out on the engine oil and filter or the body "oil and filter" and the processes, without severe ramifications.

djsassan

Reaction score
My 2022 Yukon Denali went into the dealership on Thursday for its first oil change and recall repairs. It was done All in the same day.
On the way home my husband was on the freeway and the car completely shut off, a warning popped up on the screen saying the car could not be in drive, and the car just coasted. It would not turn back on. My husband luckily made it safely to the side of the freeway where he called the dealership to ask what the heck did they do the car. It’s a brand new car that worked perfectly until they touched it. They said it wouldn’t be anything that they did. It got towed back to the dealership. Long story short…
They called us the next morning and said the engine seized and it needs a whole new engine.
What does this sound like happened to you guys? Also what would you do?
We are already speaking to GMC about the buyback program

Mine did the exact same thing you described, albeit not after an oil change but 3 months after I purchased a 2021 with ~37-38k miles. Driving on the highway with my kids in the car, exact same thing as you mentioned, twice. The engine was replaced, and then that engine failed after 146 miles and was replaced AGAIN. I am going through buyback now, as when I tried to get value on trade-in price it was awful awful awful, car was on it's 3rd engine in a 3 month period and nobody wanted to deal with it.

Wish you the best in this, it has not been a fun journey.

Rocket Man

Mark
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI regarding the loaner vehicle you’re probably driving- be very careful with it. My daughter had a loaner from a GM dealer and didn’t even notice someone had barely scraped the rear bumper, probably in a parking lot. The dealer filed a claim on her insurance for $1700 and it cost her $500 for her deductible. And they repaired it in-house…Dealerships are thieves.

grouch

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have seen drain plugs not properly tightened and fall out going down the road. The low oil cut off came around in the early 80's. They were everywhere until the 90's, but they have been around quite a while. Quite possible something popped inside and sucked all the oil out. I've seen diesels do that. They start running off the oil in the oil pan until it's all used up and the engine locks up.

petethepug

Michael
Reaction score
Boy this is justifiable info to substantiate low milage 07-14 Escalades selling in the mid $30k range. Those owners thought they had it had with AFM. This is really weird. I’d love to see the TSB to show what’s going on with the mighty 6.2l

B-train

Full Access Member
Reaction score
@petethepug I hear you! How many people gave up good rigs, probably got hammered on the trade in value (comparatively depending on year and covid), and figured they were "upgrading." Total bummer for them........and guys like me who want to find that clean, low mile escalade.